Zračna luka Rijeka/Krk I.
|Operator||Rijeka Airport Ltd.|
|Elevation AMSL||278 ft / 85 m|
Rijeka Airport (Croatian: Zračna luka Rijeka; IATA: RJK, ICAO: LDRI) is the international airport serving Rijeka, Croatia. It is located near the town of Omišalj on the island of Krk, 17 km from the Rijeka railway station. Most of the traffic to and from the airport occurs during the summer months, when it is used by several European low-cost airlines flying tourists to the northern parts of the Croatian coast.
Before the Second World War Rijeka was divided between Yugoslavia and Italy. The Yugoslav part of the city was served by the airfield in Sušak. Domestic airline Aeroput opened a route linking Sušak to Zagreb in 1930, and a year later a route linking Zagreb to Belgrade via Sušak, Split and Sarajevo was opened. By 1936 Aeroput linked the city to Belgrade, Borovo, Ljubljana, Sarajevo, Split and Zagreb. The Italian part of the city was connected to many Italian cities with regular flights provided by Italian company Ala Littoria.
The Grobnik airport had difficulty with larger planes, as its runways were close to the hills to the east of the city. With larger airliners coming on board, planners decided on a location on Krk after considering locations close to Opatija and near Urinj, which would have required moving some hills.
Airlines and destinations
|Arkia||Seasonal: Tel Aviv|
|Bulgaria Air||Seasonal charter: Sofia|
|Enter Air||Seasonal charter: Warsaw-Chopin|
|Eurowings|| Düsseldorf |
Seasonal: Berlin–Tegel, Cologne/Bonn, Hamburg, Hannover, Stuttgart
|LOT Polish Airlines||Seasonal: Warsaw-Chopin (begins 29 March 2020)|
|Ryanair||Seasonal: Charleroi, Hahn (begins 9 May 2020), London–Stansted, Stockholm–Skavsta|
|Trade Air||Dubrovnik, Osijek, Split|
|TUI Airways||Seasonal: London–Gatwick|
Incidents and accidents
- On 23 May 1971, Aviogenex Flight 130 crashed on approach to Rijeka Airport because of rough landing in bad weather conditions, killing 78 people and leaving five survivors. Among the victims was the famous Croatian poet Josip Pupačić with his wife and daughter.
- AIP from the European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation
- Drustvo za Vazdusni Saobracaj A D – Aeroput (1927–1948) at europeanairlines.no
- Ala Littoria at timetableimages.com
- "Air Serbia outlines S19 network expansion". Routesonline. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Bulgaria Air schedules new charter routes from Sofia in S17". Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "Enter Air dolazi u Rijeku s charter linijom iz Poljske". Avioradar. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "LOT schedules new route to Rijeka". Avioradar. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "Lufthansa starts the summer with new European destinations". Lufthansa. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Ryanair: New route from Germany to Rijeka next year". avioradar.hr. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Transavia adds seasonal Eindhoven – Rijeka in 3Q18". Routesonline. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk.
- "Volotea S19 new routes as of 12NOV18". Routesonline. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Croatian Bureau of Statistics
- Rijeka Airport
- ASN Aircraft accident Tupolev 134A YU-AHZ Rijeka Airport (RJK) – 2 photographs
- Авиакатастрофы самолётов Ту-134 (in Russian)
Media related to Rijeka Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Airport information for LDRI at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.