Riley Township, Sandusky County, Ohio
|Riley Township, Sandusky County, Ohio|
Countryside in central Riley Township
Location of Riley Township, Sandusky County, Ohio.
|• Total||42.8 sq mi (110.8 km2)|
|• Land||38.6 sq mi (99.9 km2)|
|• Water||4.2 sq mi (10.9 km2)|
|Elevation||587 ft (179 m)|
|• Density||33.8/sq mi (13.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086915|
Located in the northeastern part of the county along Sandusky Bay, it borders the following townships:
- Bay Township, Ottawa County - north, across Sandusky Bay
- Portage Township, Ottawa County - northwest corner, across Sandusky Bay, north of Margarette Township
- Margaretta Township, Erie County - northeast, across Sandusky Bay, south of Portage Township
- Townsend Township - east
- York Township - southeast corner
- Green Creek Township - south
- Ballville Township - southwest corner
- Sandusky Township - west
- Rice Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Riley Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Riley Township is located in Putnam County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sandusky County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 13 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.