|Alexandre Arnault, CEO|
Dieter Morszeck, Co-CEO
RIMOWA suitcases are widely known for their parallel aluminium grooves, which have become characteristic of the brand. The company's headquarters and production are located in Cologne for 120 years.
Several celebrities also use their suitcases for quality, handmade workmanship, and innovations in terms of lightness and durability.
1898: Paul Morszeck Koffer-und Lederwaren-Fabrik
In 1898, Paul Morszeck and Heinrich Görtz founded the company under the name Görtz & Morszeck. By 1900, Paul Morszeck remained as the only director of the company.
1931: Registered RIMOWA as a trademark
In 1931, his son, Richard Morszeck, became involved in the company and registered the trademark RIMOWA at the Reich Patent Office in Berlin. "Rimowa" is an acronym for Richard Morszeck Warenzeichen (with Warenzeichen meaning trademark).
1937: First suitcase in Aluminium
2000: First suitcase in Polycarbonate
In 2000, the company introduced polycarbonate in box construction.
2016: RIMOWA joined LVMH Group
RIMOWA identity evolution: 1898 - Today
In 1937, the first suitcases with grooves were produced. Made from duraluminium, an alloy of aluminium and magnesium. Originally, the parallel-grooved aluminum structure was used to stabilize the thin aluminum, now this is the RIMOWA signature, protected as a trademark.
The RIMOWA Original is the brand's emblematic luggage line made from a high-end anodized aluminium alloy. The trademark material is durable and known for the distinctive patina it develops over time with repeated use. Each hard-shell suitcase is made of 205 parts that are individually inspected and assembled in a manufacturing process that takes exactly 117 minutes to complete in the factory in Cologne, Germany. Production begins with a flat sheet of aluminium that is then imprinted with raised grooves - the iconic ribbed design first inspired by the corrugated metal of aircraft of the 1930s. From there, the aluminium is pressed into two identical shells, fitted with a frame, corners, and telescopic handle, and secured together by aviation-standard aluminium rivets. The Original Collection comes in eight sizes - the Cabin S, Cabin, Cabin Plus, Check-In M, Check-In L, Trunk, Trunk Plus, Trunk XL, and is available in three colours variations - silver, black and titanium. The 80-year anniversary of the RIMOWA Original was celebrated in 2017.
The RIMOWA Classic is the modern interpretation of the Classic Flight collection. The heritage-inspired design is made from the brand's trademark anodized aluminium and includes details like riveted high-gloss aluminium corners and handmade leather handles. It is available in five sizes - the Cabin S, Cabin, Check-In M, Check-In L, and Trunk. Personalised versions of the RIMOWA Classic can be created with the RIMOWA Unique customisation service that allows customers to select from different coloured wheels, leather handles and initialled leather luggage tags.
The RIMOWA Hybrid combines two innovative materials, robust aluminium-magnesium alloy and lightweight polycarbonate, in one unique suitcase design. It is available in five sizes - the Cabin S, Cabin, Cabin Plus, Check-In M, Check-In L, and in a range of matte or gloss colours.
The RIMOWA Essential is the present version of the world's first polycarbonate suitcase, which RIMOWA brought to market in 2000. The high-tech material resists extreme temperatures, is light yet durable, and has received two safety certifications from TÜV Rheinland. The Essential range is characterised by lightweight cases that come in a rotating mix of seasonal colour variations and both matte and gloss finishes. The RIMOWA Essential is available in seven sizes - the Cabin S, Cabin, Cabin Plus, Check-In M, Check-In L, Trunk and Trunk Plus.
The Essential Lite is RIMOWA's lightest suitcase ever created, weighing 30 percent less than the Essential variant. It is the only RIMOWA product available in a miniature kid's size, in addition to four other standard sizes - the Cabin S, Cabin, Check-In M and Check-In L.
RIMOWA suitcases currently in production include the following features:
- The Multiwheel® System first patented by RIMOWA in 2001. Ball-bearing mounted wheels with cushioned axels ensure smooth and stable 360-degree motion across eight wheels.
- TSA-approved locks first introduced in 2006 for global airport security compliance.
- Telescopic handles with stage-free adjustment for smooth manoeuvrability.
- Interior compartment equipped with two height-adjustable Flex Dividers that secure the contents of each suitcase.
RIMOWA has established several partnerships with well-know German brands, such as Lufthansa since 1998 for the brand's centenary, or with Porsche since 1999. As part of the partnership with Porsche, RIMOWA regularly produces special series of its suitcases with specific colours or designs. Nevertheless, since 2017, RIMOWA has made major changes in its strategy, moving from a product placement strategy to a strategy of close collaborations and long-term partnerships such as Fendi, Monocle, Moncler, Supreme, Off-White, Daniel Arsham, Anti Social Social Club, and the artist Alex Israel.
In 2018, New York skateboarding brand Supreme (brand) and RIMOWA teamed up to create custom versions of the Original suitcase emblazoned with the Supreme logo. Made exclusively for Supreme, the limited-edition suitcase were available in Red and Black. In 2019, a second product drop was released, this time featuring Supreme's spider web design anodized into the aluminium surface of the RIMOWA Original cases. Available in Cabin Plus and Check-In L sizes, the collaboration included a co-branded black leather luggage tag, custom lining, and matching drawstring shoe bag featuring the Supreme logo.
In 2018, RIMOWA collaborated with streetwear label Off-White (company) and its founder Virgil Abloh, also acting as Artistic Director of Louis Vuitton menswear. The capsule collection included a completely transparent Polycarbonate suitcase based on the Essential, titled "See Through", and an all-black Original case labelled with the words "Personal Belongings" in Off-White's signature block lettering and branded luggage belt. Due to its transparent design the "See Through" case forgoes interior lining and instead includes the Flex Divider system in black in addition to customised bags and an extra wheel set included in the product release.
In 2019, RIMOWA partnered with luxury fashion house Dior, and its Artistic Director of menswear Kim Jones (designer), to develop a joint capsule collection of exclusive luggage items. The collection includes custom versions of the RIMOWA Original Cabin and Original Trunk suitcases featuring the Dior Oblique design, a signature motif of the iconic house dating back to 1967. Using an innovative combination of anodising processes, vibrant pigments of the design are inscribed directly into the product's aluminium skin, giving it a rich, reflective appearance. Also included in the collection was a revival of an archive piece - the RIMOWA and Dior Hand Case modelled on the RIMOWA "Piccolo" case of the 1990s - along with an all-new design called the RIMOWA Personal offering a portable size and cross-body strap. Another highlight of the collection was the Dior and RIMOWA Champagne case. The capsule collected debuted on the runway of the Dior's Men's Summer 2020 fashion show in Paris.
In 2019, contemporary artist Daniel Arsham and RIMOWA collaborated on a special-edition art project. Drawing inspiration from the RIMOWA brand archives in Cologne, Germany. Arsham created a numbered "eroded suitcase" series based on a vintage RIMOWA Attaché briefcase. Similar to ARSHAM's "Future Relic" series (2013 - 2018) where he imagines a variety everyday objects as archaeological discoveries from a future, dystopian world. In May 2019, the number 008/500 of this special edition was sold for US$14,000 at auction house Sotheby's in New York city.
RIMOWA has formed relationships with renowned cultural icons, sports figures, artists and designers for various brand initiatives. For the ‘Never Still’ global brand campaign, RIMOWA enlisted a series ambassadors to promote their new brand identity. Ambassadors featured in the ‘Never Still’ brand campaign include:
- LeBron James, American professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Kim Jones (designer), English fashion designer, Creative Director of Dior Homme.
- Yuja Wang, Chinese professional classical pianist.
- Roger Federer, Swiss professional tennis player, he has won 20 Grand Slam (tennis) singles titles.
- Virgil Abloh, American fashion designer, entrepreneur, artist, artistic director of Louis Vuitton's men's wear collection.
- Adwoa Aboah, British fashion model.
- Yoon Ahn, Korean-American jewelry designer, Dior Men Director of jewelry.
- Nobu Matsuhisa, Japanese celebrity chef and restaurateur.
|2010||USA||Travel + Leisure||Best Luggage||1st place||Salsa Deluxe|
|2014||Germany||Red Dot Award||Online (Homepage)||1st place||RIMOWA|
|2015||Germany||Welt (Munich Strategy Group)||Top 100 Small- and medium-sized companies||1st place||RIMOWA|
|2015||Global||Future Travel Experience||Best Baggage Initiative||1st place||RIMOWA & Lufthansa for RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2016||Germany||Innovations-Champions 2016||Munich Strategy Group||1st place||RIMOWA|
|2016||Germany||Digital Pioneer 2016||Digital Pioneer||1st place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||Germany||Art Directors Club||Digitale Medien Craft > Innovative Technologie||1st place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||USA||Surface Travel Awards||Luggage high-end||1st place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||Germany||Art Directors Club||Digitale Medien > Usage innovant des réseaux sociaux||2nd place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||France||Cannes Lions||MOBILE A Technology A07 Connected Devices||2nd place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||USA||CLIO Awards||DIGITAL / MOBILE Other||2nd place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||Germany||Deutscher Digital Award||9.2 Transformation Digitale - Innovation||2nd place||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2017||UK||London International Awards||THE NEW Product Innovation||Shortlist||RIMOWA Electronic Tag|
|2019||USA||Fast Company Awards ||50 Most Innovative Companies||Shortlist||RIMOWA Product Range|
|2019||USA||Fast Company Awards ||The 9 most timeless designs of the past 25 years||Shortlist||RIMOWA Original Cabin silver suitcase|
|2019||USA||Surface Magazine ||The Best New Luggage of The Year||1st place||RIMOWA x Alex Israel suitcase|
- "How Rimowa Got its Groove". Surface. Sep 21, 2019.
- "The Luggage Brand Every Celebrity Travels With". Who What Wear. Jul 30, 2015.
- "LVMH to Take 80% Stake in German Luggage Brand RIMOWA". New York Times. Oct 4, 2016. Retrieved Jun 4, 2018.
- "LVMH buys 80 percent of German luggage group Rimowa". Reuters. Oct 4, 2016.
- "Another Arnault Takes Charge". The New York Times. Mar 6, 2017.
- "Rimowa Displays the Lasting Power of Its Iconic Aluminum Suitcases". Forbes. Oct 10, 2017.
- "How Alexandre Arnault Is Making a 120-Year-Old Luggage Brand Relevant Again". Fashionista. Dec 14, 2017.
- "Another Arnault takes charge". Nytimes. March 6, 2017.
- "The original luggage with the grooves". RIMOWA.
- "The 80th Anniversary of the Original Aluminium Suitcase". YouTube. Oct 9, 2017.
- "How a Rimowa Aluminium Topas case is made". YouTube. Dec 14, 2015.
- "10 Things to Know About Rimowa". Complex. Nov 14, 2019.
- "How to Spot Real Rimowa Luggage". RealStyle. May 21, 2019.
- "RIMOWA Classic Trunk Receives Silver Aluminum Version". HypeBeast. Dec 19, 2019.
- "Expert Packing Tips from RIMOWA". Travel and Style. Apr 8, 2013.
- "Lufthansa launches RIMOWA Electronic Tag at FTE Global 2015". Future Travel Experience. 25 September 2015.
- "Porsche Design x RIMOWA "RS 2.7" PTS Lightweight Collection". HypeBeast.
- "Case study: Why Rimowa rules the luggage carousel". Financial Times. Jan 30, 2018.
- Marchese, Keiron (2018-07-16). "RIMOWA taps FENDI for second luxe aluminum cabin trolley collaboration". DesignBoom. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- Phelps, Nicole. "Moncler Genius Adds Jonathan Anderson and Rimowa to Its Group of Collaborators". Vogue. Retrieved 2020-02-08.
- "Collab of the day: Supreme x Rimowa". 2018-04-09. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- "Exclusive: Rimowa and Off-White Are Releasing a New Luggage Collection". GQ. 2018-10-05. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- Ozemebhoya, Esiwahomi (2019-05-06). "DANIEL ARSHAM X RIMOWA TRANSFORM A SUITCASE INTO A WORK OF ART". Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "The Anti Social Social Club x RIMOWA Collab Now Has a Release Date". highsnobiety.com. 29 December 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "Rimowa teams up with L.A. artist Alex Israel on new suitcases". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "The Supreme x RIMOWA Drop Brought out London's Travel-Obsessed Fans". Hypebeast. Apr 12, 2018.
- "TRAVEL IN STYLE WITH RIMOWA X SUPREME'S NEW CHECK-IN AND CARRY-ON SUITCASES". Hypebae. Nov 11, 2019.
- "Exclusive: Rimowa and Off-White Are Releasing a New Luggage Collection". GQ. Feb 20, 2020.
- "Take a Closer Look at the Dior x RIMOWA SS20 Luggage Capsule". Hypebeast. Nov 25, 2019.
- "Dior Men and Rimowa Unveil a Monogram Collaboration on the Spring 2020 Runway". VOGUE. Jun 21, 2019.
- "daniel arsham brings a vintage RIMOWA suitcase back to life". designboom. May 2, 2019.
- "RIMOWA x DANIEL ARSHAM: ED 008/500 (Special Edition)". Sotheby's. May 13, 2019.
- "STYLE Edit: How travel brought LeBron James and Rimowa together". scmp. Jun 24, 2019.
- "Kim Jones Shares His Never Ending Story". VOGUE. May 29, 2019.
- "What Globe-Trotting Piano Prodigy Yuja Wang Can't Travel Without". Robb Report. Jul 24, 2019.
- "Federer Lands New Sponsor; Becomes Rimowa Brand Ambassador". Perfect Tennis. Sep 8, 2018.
- "Virgil Abloh, Roger Federer can never be still in Rimowa luggage 120th anniversary campaign". The Drum. Sep 7, 2018.
- "How Travel Helped Adwoa Aboah Beat Her Demons". ELLE. Sep 10, 2018.
- "Yoon Ahn's Dreams Realization with RIMOWA". Luxuvere. Sep 10, 2018.
- "Nobu Matsuhisa's Inspirational Steps with RIMOWA". Luxuvere. Sep 10, 2018.
- "RIMOWA Wins Travel & Leisure Design Award". PR News Wire. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Red Dot Design Awards". Red Dot. 2014-10-09. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Das sind die wahren Stars der deutschen Wirtschaft". Welt.de. 2015-12-13. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "5th FTE Awards recognise Delta, Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Qantas, JetBlue, Schiphol Group, Melbourne Airport, Emirates, KLM, easyJet, RIMOWA, DSG and IndiGo". Future Travel Experience. 2015-09-01. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "RIMOWA REMPORTE LE PRIX « DIGITAL PIONEER 2016 »". GoetzPartners. 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Winners - RIMOWA Electronic Tag". ADC Europe. 2017-08-10. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Surface Travel Awards 2017". Surface Mag. 2017-08-10. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Winners - RIMOWA Electronic Tag". ADC Europe. 2017-08-10. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Rimowa Electronic Tag". We Love Ad. 2017-02-10. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "RIMOWA ELECTRONIC TAG". CLIOS. 2017-02-10. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Gewinner 2017 - 9.2 Digitale Transformation – Innovation". Deutscher Digital Award. 2017-02-10. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Most Innovative Companies". Fast Company. 2019-11-03. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "The 9 most timeless designs of the past 25 years". Fast Company. 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "Take a Look at The Best New Luggage of The Year". Surface. 2019-10-03. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rimowa.|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2020)