|Native name||知念 里奈|
9 February 1981 |
|Occupation||Actress, singer-songwriter, model|
|Spouse(s)||Kentaro Nakamura (m.2005-2007)|
|Labels||Sony Music Japan|
Debuting in 1996 with the Single "Do-Do for Me", Chinen's career transitioned through bouncy pop songs and ballads to rock and then R&B. Chinen had a powerful and versatile voice and could deliver powerful rock ballads such as "In Your Eyes", hard rock "Yes!" or bouncy pop-cum-dance "Baby Love". Her voice is at its best when she sings at lower, throaty pitches. Some earlier songs such as "God Bless the World" and "Wing" sung in a high-pitched voice, perhaps in an attempt to come across as cutesy, are not so pleasant to the ear. Although there are many high-pitched singers in Japan, in Chinen's case this tended to polarise listeners.
Her last album, Breath, was released in 2001. This took on a more R&B flavour which Chinen said on her Sony homepage was more to her interests. At this point her music career seems to have stalled. Unlike her earlier albums, this one was not well promoted. Chinen made only a few media appearances.
Chinen spent the early years of her singing career doubling as on-air talent for the Yoru mo Hippare TV show.
In 2002, Chinen appeared in the Japanese TV drama Yume no California (夢のカリフォルニア?, literally, California of the dream — also known as California Dreamin). In 2007, she appeared in the Tokyo production of Les Misérables.
On 10 August 2005, Chinen at the age of 24 registered her marriage to model Kentaro Nakamura, aged 22. The couple were expecting a child at the time she was cast in the December musical "Jekyll and Hyde". Her part was consequently reassigned to Ranran Suzuki. Chinen announced she planned on taking maternity leave after the drama finished its season, and would continue working after becoming a mother.
- 'Do-Do For Me' (21 October 1996)
- 'precious delicious' (31 March 1997)
- 'Pinch -Love Me Deeper-' (18 September 1997)
- 'Break out Emotion' (28 January 1998)
- 'Wing' (15 April 1998)
- 'Be yourself' (15 July 1998)
- 'Yes' (13 January 1999)
- 'God Bless the World' (31 March 1999)
- 'Be proud' (23 June 1999)
- 'In Your Eyes' (29 September 1999)
- 'Baby Love' (9 February 2000)
- 'Love, make together' (20 September 2000)
- 'Club Zipang' (15 November 2000) -- adapted from Ricky Martin's "She Bangs"
- 'Just Believe' (6 December 2000)
- 'Love you close' (7 March 2001)
- Growing (10 June 1998)
- Passage -Best Collection- (23 March 2000)
- Breath (4 July 2001)
- Plain Video Clips (19 September 1998)
- Rina Clips 98-00 (29 March 2000)
- Plain Video Clips (29 July 1998)
- Rina Chinen Growing Tour 1999 (14 July 1999)
- Rina Clips 98-00 (29 March 2000)
- Jekyll and Hyde - Emma Carew (December 2003) (Her part had been consequently reassigned to Ranran Suzuki due to maternity leave.)
- Miss Saigon, Kim (2004-2014), Ellen (2016- )
- Fiddler on the Roof, Hodel (2004)
- Les Misérables,- Cosette (2005), Eponine (2007-2009), Fantine (2011- )
- Rudolf, Princess Stephanie of Belgium (2008)
- Dance of the Vampires, Sarah (2009-2011)
- She Loves Me, Ilona Ritter (2009)
- Himeyuri - Kimi (2010)
- Ludwig B - Eleanore von Breuning (2014)
- j-p00p.com :: View topic - The X List
- Rina Chinen New Album "Breath"
- Chinen Rina@Everything2.com
-  Archived 15 March 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Japan Entertainment News Archives for August 2005". Japan-zone.com. Archived from the original on 11 November 2006. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Japan Entertainment News Archives for March 2006". Japan-zone.com. Archived from the original on 9 April 2007. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Entertainment News from Japan: Chinen Rina Divorced
|Japan Record Award for Best New Artist