|Residence||Los Angeles, CA|
|Nationality||United States, Israel|
|Alma mater||UCLA (1985, PhD)|
Weizmann Institute of Science (1978, MS)
Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1976, BS)
|Fields||Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence|
|Institutions||University of California, Irvine|
|Doctoral advisor||Judea Pearl|
Rina Dechter is a Professor of Computer Science in the Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences at University of California, Irvine. Her research focuses on automated reasoning and constraint satisfaction in artificial intelligence. In 2013, she was elected a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery.
Dechter received her B.S in Mathematics and Statistics from Hebrew University in 1973, her M.S. in Applied Mathematics from the Weizmann Institute in 1976, and her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1985 as a student of Judea Pearl.
Academic career and research
Dechter was a senior lecturer in computer science at the Technion from 1988 to 1990, after which she moved to the University of California, Irvine, where she became a full professor in 1996. She was a Radcliffe Fellow at Harvard University's Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study from 2005 to 2006. She is the co-editor in chief of the scientific journal Artificial Intelligence Journal, a position to which she was elected in 2011.
Dechter wrote a standard text in constraint programming called Constraint Processing published by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers in 2003. It was reviewed as a valuable graduate-level resource or reference work. She also co-edited a festschrift dedicated to her Ph.D. advisor Judea Pearl and his influence in the field of causal modeling and probabilistic reasoning, titled Heuristics, Probability, and Causality.
Awards and honors
Dechter received a Presidential Young Investigator Award from the United States National Science Foundation in 1991, became a fellow of the American Association of Artificial Intelligence in 1994, and received an award for research excellence from the Association of Constraint Programming in 2007. In 2013, she was elected a fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery, cited "for contributions to the algorithmic foundations of automated reasoning with constraint-based and probabilistic information."
- "Rina Dechter Biographical Sketch". Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Faculty Profile: Rina Dechter". UCI Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "ACM Fellows". Association for Computing Machinery. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Rina Dechter Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Computer Science Professor Judea Pearl honored". UCLA Engineering. Archived from the original on 5 May 2010. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Fellow: Rina Dechter". Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "About the AIJ Division (AIJD)". AIJ Editorial Website. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Dechter, Rina (May 19, 2003). Constraint Processing (1st ed.). San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann. ISBN 9781558608900.
- van Beek, Peter; Walsh, Toby (Winter 2004). "Principles of Constraint Programming and Constraint Processing: A Review". AI Magazine. 25 (4).
- Dechter, Rina; Geffner, Hector; Halpern, Joseph Y., eds. (February 5, 2010). Heuristics, Probability and Causality. a Tribute to Judea Pearl (1st ed.). London: College Publications. ISBN 9781904987659.