Ringoes, New Jersey
|Ringoes, New Jersey|
Historic building in Ringoes
|Elevation||220 ft (67 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|GNIS feature ID||0879697|
Ringoes Historic District
|NRHP Reference #||99001544|
|Added to NRHP||December 20, 1999|
Ringoes is an unincorporated community located within East Amwell Township in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. The community is served by the United States Postal Service as ZIP Code 08551. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population for ZIP Code Tabulation Area 08551 was 5,532.
Ringoes is the oldest known settlement in Hunterdon County. The village grew up around John Ringo's Tavern on Route 179 on the Old York Road. The tavern was the site for many meetings of the Hunterdon Chapter of the Sons of Liberty formed in 1766.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Ringoes include:
- James Buchanan (1839–1900), represented New Jersey's 2nd congressional district from 1885 to 1893
- Matt Ioannidis (born 1994), defensive end for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League.
- Andrew Maguire (born 1939), represented New Jersey's 7th congressional district from 1975 to 1981
- Horace Griggs Prall (1881–1951), acting Governor of New Jersey in 1935.
- Jason Read, Olympian, Gold Medalist in the Men's 8+ in the 2004 Summer Olympics.
- Herb Ringer (1913–1998), amateur photographer.
- Tabby's Place, cat sanctuary
- Old York Cellars, winery
- Unionville Vineyards, winery
- Black River and Western Railroad, tourist and freight railroad
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Ringoes has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- DP-1 Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 from the 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA 08551, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 3, 2016.
- "Ringoes". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Fun Facts About Hunterdon County, New Jersey, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Accessed June 11, 2007.
- James Buchanan, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed August 27, 2007.
- Lovett, Jackie. "Top 10: Local Players at the NFL Combine", New York Jets, February 26, 2016. Accessed May 3, 2016. "Matt Ioannidis, DT; Hometown: Ringoes, NJ; High School: Hunterdon Central Regional"
- Gene Andrew Maguire, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed June 10, 2007.
- Climate Summary for Ringoes, New Jersey