Rinkeby is noted for its high concentration of immigrants and people with immigrant ancestry. 89.1% of the population of Rinkeby had a first- or second-generation immigrant background as of 2007. In 2002, there was a murder in rinkeby that gained national headlines.
The Stockholm metro station Rinkeby was opened in 1975.
Rinkeby is inhabited by a diverse array of immigrants. As of 2011, most were from Iraq (3,155), Iran (2,909), Somalia (2,878), Turkey (1,819), Finland (1,090), Eritrea (1,026), Ethiopia (914), Greece (768), Poland (757), Chile (711), Syria (631), China (589), Bosnia-Herzegovina (468), Pakistan (456), India (414), Bangladesh (414), Morocco (344), Yugoslavia (328), and Lebanon (289).
In 2016, an Australian news team from 60 Minutes along with Jan Sjunnesson, an editor of the Swedish publication Avpixlat, had their camera man hit by a car when the team arrived at Rinkeby. After making journalistic contact with inhabitants, "the team gets surrounded by young, ill-tempered men. The police is present but disappear for unclear reasons immediately prior to the attack" that followed, which included hits and kicks. In May of the same year, an interview team of the Norwegian public broadcaster NRK along with Swedish police and economist Tino Sanandaji were attacked.
Riots have broken out among immigrant youth in Rinkeby in 2010, 2013, and 2017. In 2017 fires were started by rioters, and at least seven cars were burned. Rioters threw rocks at police, who responded with warning shots, and later with "shots for effect" intended to hit their target.  
In 2017 the construction of a new more robust police station in the area was delayed due to construction companies being unwilling to tender for the contract over security concerns over attacks on equipment or threats towards employees.
- "Administrative divisions of the City districts". Stockholms stads utrednings- och statistikkontor AB. 2008-04-14. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- "Områdesfakta Rinkeby stadsdel". Stockholms stads utrednings- och statistikkontor AB. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Welcome to Rinkeby-kista" (PDF). City District Council. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Källor till SVT: Ingen vill bygga ny polisstation i Rinkeby". Sveriges Television. 11 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- TV team from 60 minutes attacked in Sweden
- "Attacker mot blåljus-personal ökar i landet". Expressen (in Swedish). 15 May 2016.
- "NRK-team truet og kastet stein etter i Sverige" (in Norwegian). NRK. 6 May 2016.
- "Svensk politi: – Vi er i ferd med å miste kontrollen" (in Norwegian). NRK. 8 May 2016.
- Newding, Paulina (13 March 2017). "The Truth About Sweden". Weekly Standard. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
|KML file (edit • help)|
|This article about a location in Stockholm County, Sweden is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|