Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
|Full name||Rio Grande Valley|
|Founded||July 15, 2015|
|Owner||Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
|Head Coach||Gerson Echeverry|
|2018||13th, Western Conference|
Rio Grande Valley FC, also known as RGVFC or Rio Grande Valley FC Toros, is an American professional soccer team based in Edinburg, Texas operated by Lone Star, LLC. They joined the USL Championship in the 2016 season. Lone Star has the same ownership team as the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Gatorade League with Alonzo Cantu as majority owner.
The team serves as a hybrid affiliate of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer. Chris Canetti, Houston Dynamo president, called the relationship "an important and necessary step." The hybrid affiliation, a first for the USL, means that the Dynamo will be responsible for the soccer operation of the club, selecting players and coaching staff. The ownership group, Lone Star, will be responsible for operations and day-to-day management of the club.
In March 2015, Bert Garcia announced that the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA D-league had been awarded a franchise pending concrete plans for a stadium and a name and confirmed a report on MLSSoccer.com that the Houston Dynamo would likely be the MLS affiliate for the USL team in the Rio Grande Valley.
In December 2015, the Houston Dynamo signed Dynamo Academy product Juan "Charly" Flores as the first player of the Toros.
|Year||Division||League||Regular Season W-T-L||Playoffs||Avg. Attendance|
|2016||3||USL||2nd, Western: 14–9–7||Conference Quarterfinals||1,994|
|2017||2||USL||11th, Western: 9–8–15||Did not qualify||7,067|
|2018||2||USL||13th, Western: 8–14–12||Did not qualify||4,650|
- Includes USL Regular season, USL Play-offs and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
|Wilmer Cabrera||Colombia||December 2, 2015||October 28, 2016||31||14||8||9||45.16|
|Junior Gonzalez||United States||December 15, 2016||November 8, 2017||32||9||15||8||28.13|
|Gerson Echeverry||United States||December 6, 2017||present||39||8||15||16||20.51|
The club has a 9,400-seat soccer-specific stadium in Edinburg, Texas for the team. It was set to open after the Toros played three games at the soccer complex at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to start the 2016 USL Season.
The stadium was never completed for play in 2016. Construction of the H-E-B Park was completed during the first quarter of 2017 and the Toros played C.F. Monterrey from Mexico on March 22, 2017 to inaugurate their new stadium. The Toros lost their exhibition match against Rayados 0–3. The Toros won their first home game at H-E-B Park on April 12, 2017 against the Colorado Springs Switchbacks. Their current home record attendance is 7,820 which was set on April 29, 2017 against the Oklahoma City Energy.
Players and staff
Where a player has not declared an international allegiance, nation is determined by place of birth. Squad correct as of June 25, 2019.
Gerson Echeverry – Head Coach
Brett Uttley – Assistant Coach
Carlos Ortiz – Goalkeeper Coach
- Houston Dynamo reach affiliate agreement to start USL club: "It’s an important and necessary step", MLSoccer.com, July 15, 2015
- RGVFC awarded the USL's newest franchise, Houston Dyanamo, July 15, 2015
- Houston Dynamo brass meet with representatives in McAllen, Texas, about creating USL PRO team, MLSSoccer.com, September 9, 2014.
- Houston Dynamo GM: McAllen One of Many Possible Locations for USL-Pro Team, PlayingFor90.com, September 14, 2014
- USL PRO awards Vipers professional soccer franchise, The Monitor, March 30, 2015
- Lovell, Darrell (March 24, 2015), Houston Dynamo partnering with NBA D-League franchise to form USL team for 2016 season, MLSsoccer.com
- USL soccer stadium to be completed by March (Press Release), Action 4 News, August 11, 2015.
- RGV FC Toros Take on C.F. Monterrey at H-E-B Park’s Inauguration Game (Press Release), RGVFC, February 13, 2017.
- RGV FC Toros open H-E-B Park with exhibition loss to C.F. Monterrey Rayados (News), The Monitor, March 22, 2017.
- "Rio Grande Valley FC Home | uslsoccer.com". www.uslsoccer.com. Retrieved 2018-06-03.