Ripon railway station
|Original company||Leeds and Thirsk Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|1 June 1848 ||Opened|
|6 March 1967||Closed to passengers|
|5 September 1969||Closed completely|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Opened by the Leeds and Thirsk Railway on 1 June 1848, it was taken over by the North Eastern Railway, which became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the Eastern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board as part of the Beeching Axe.
The city of was previously served by Ripon railway station on the Leeds-Northallerton Line that ran between Leeds and Northallerton. It was once part of the North Eastern Railway and then LNER. The Ripon to Harrogate Line was closed in the 1960s as part of the Beeching cuts. Today much of the route of the line through the city is now a relief road and although the former station still stands, it is now surrounded by a new housing development. The issue remains a significant one in local politics and there are movements wanting to restore the line. Reports suggest the reopening of a line between Ripon and Harrogate railway station would be economically viable, costing £40 million and could initially attract 1,200 passengers a day, rising to 2,700. Campaigners call on MPs to restore Ripon railway link.
- "Opening of the Leeds and Thirsk Railway". Leeds Times (Leeds). 3 June 1848. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Reopening line makes economic sense, says study". Northern Echo. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Backing for restoring rail link". BBC News Online (BBC). 11 May 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Railway plan may be back on track". This Is The North East. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Campaigners call on MPs to restore Ripon railway link". Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Wormald Green||North Eastern Railway
|This article on a railway station in Yorkshire and the Humber is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|