|Birth name||Rishpal Singh Rekhi|
|Also known as||Rishi Rekhi, The Rishi Rich Project|
|Born||Croydon, London, England,|
|Genres||Bhangra, Punjabi, Filmi, Hindi, alternative hip hop, trip hop, UK garage, R&B|
|Labels||Moviebox Records, Rishi Rich Productions Ltd. (RRP), 2Point9 Records|
Rishpal Singh Rekhi, better known by his stage name Rishi Rich, is a British-Indian music producer born in Croydon, June 30, 1976, England and based in London. He began his career in the Asian Underground scene and later became internationally known for his Bhangra tracks, his Hindi remixes, and as a pioneer of Asian-R&B fusion music.
He has also released his own solo albums, Simply Rich in 2002 with Ishq Records and The Project in 2006 with 2point9 Records and his produced songs have appeared in a number of Bollywood films. He now runs Rishi Rich Productions with contracts with a number of British Asian artists including H-Dhami, Mumzy Stranger, Veronica Mehta, Tasha Tah and Abbas Hasan.
The Rishi Rich Project
Rishi Rich worked in the UK with a number of Asian artists co-produced a number of Asian music albums. In January 2003, he signed management contract with 2Point9 Records. Soon after, he formed the Rishi Rich Project, the objective of which was to showcase up-and-coming talent. The Rishi Rich releases quickly became famous in the Asian Underground scene, being pioneers of contemporary R&B-Bhangra fusion. They subsequently found success in India and helped popularise Asian-R&B fusion sounds in both the Asian underground scene and in Indian pop music.
"Dance with You (Nachna Tere Naal)", released on 8 September 2003, was the debut single by the Rishi Rich Project produced by Richi Rich and featuring Jay Sean (singing in English) and Juggy D (in Punjabi). It was an Asian Underground song with the music video set at a block party in a London neighbourhood. The song peaked at No. 12 on the UK Singles Charts and No. 2 on the Dutch Top 40. It also won "Best Single R&B" at the 2003 UK Asian Music Awards. It is considered Jay Sean's first successful single and was later included in his debut album, Me Against Myself (2004) produced by Rishi Rich himself, as well in Rich's album, Rishi Rich Project. The song was also included in the soundtrack for the 2003 Bollywood film Boom.
On 27 April 2007, Rishi announced that he was parting with his record company 2Point9 Records, marking the end of the Rishi Rich Project. After their departures from the project, Jay Sean subsequently went on to become one of the most successful groundbreaking international Asian artists (prestigiously topping the US Hot 100 in 2009), while Juggy D became one of the most successful British artists in the mainstream Indian market.
In 2015, the Rishi Rich project, reunited Rishi with Jay Sean and Juggy D and came back with the single "Freak".
Rishi Rich released his first solo album Simply Rich fuses urban music and bhangra. The album was a big success in the Asian pop charts that resulted in a number of singles, including "Nahin Jeena" with vocals by Don D and Juggy D, and "Nahin Tere Jeha Hor Disda" with vocals by Pakistani Qawwali singer Javed Bashir (based on Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Kiven Mukhre Ton Nazran Hatawan") with the music video featuring cameo appearances by Bally Sagoo, Juggy D, Jay Sean and Veronica Mehta.
Rishi released his third album, The Lost Beats, in 2014.
Rishi Rich Productions
In 2007 Rishi Rich started Rishi Rich Productions (RRP), a joint partnership between himself and entertainment entrepreneur, Waleed Jahangir. The artists signed to the company are Rishi Rich himself, H-Dhami, Mumzy, Veronica Mehta (aka Veronica), Tasha Tah, Juggy D, and Abbas Hasan.
Rishi Rich won "Best Producer" at the UK Asian Music Awards in 2003 and also in 2009 for producing H-Dhami's debut album Sadke Java. At the 2009 event he also won a special "Commitment to the Scene" award.
Rishi Rich expanded also into Indian film and many of his produced songs appeared in various Bollywood films:
- Boom (2003): The track "Eyes on You" which was performed by Jay Sean was featured in Bollywood film Boom. The song hit the UK Top 10 in 2004 and was featured on Jay Sean's debut album Me Against Myself.
- Hum Tum (2004): Rishi produced a track U'n'I for the first ever release from the Yash Raj music label, which featured in the film.
- Kyaa Kool Hai Hum (2005): The track "One Night", produced by Rishi and sung by Jay Sean, was taken from Jay Sean's album Me Against Myself and was included in the 2005 film Kyaa Kool Hai Hum. However, the version on this soundtrack was entitled "Dil Mera (One Night)" and included vocals by Veronica as well as Jay Sean.
- Jackpot (2013): Rishi Rich produced the track " Kabhi Jo Baadal Barse" (Remix).
- Love Yoou Soniye (2013): Composed and sang "Love Yoou Soniye", the title track for the film with Juggy D
- Behen Hogi Teri (2017): He recreated the R.D. Burman's song Jaanu which was sung by Raftaar.
- Half Girlfriend (2017): Rishi composed his first official Hindi song, "Mere Dil Mein", which has music notes astoundingly similar to the song U 'n' I.
- Poster Boys (2017): He composed "Kehende Menu" sung by Ikka, Yash Narvekar and Sukriti Kakar
- Mubarakan (2017): Rishi composed the title track with Yash Anand. He also sang it with Badshah and Yash Anand
- Namaste England (2018): Rishi composed a song titled "Bhaare Bazaar" with Badshah. Vishal Dadlani, Payal Dev, B Praak and Badshah sang the song.
- Gully Boy (2019): He composed Doori which is sung by Ranveer Singh.
- Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar (2019): He will compose for the soundtrack of the film.
In September 2011, he married his childhood sweetheart, Manrina Rhode, a dentist. They are now divorced as of 2019.
In February 2014, Rishi signed to TRMG Teddy Riley Music group and moved to Atlanta in April 2014 to work alongside Teddy Riley after acquiring OnlyChild Records from Manchester-based producer, SP.
Rishi Rich solo albums
- Simply Rich (2002) (Ishq Records)
- The Project (2006) (2point9 Records)
- The Lost Beats (2014) (Musicbyrr)
- "Nahin Tere Jeha Hor Disda" (2002), featuring Javeed Bashir
- "Nahin Jeena" (2002), featuring Juggy D and Don D
- "Dance with You (Nachna Tere Naal)" (2003), featuring Jay Sean and Juggy D [UK#12]
- "U 'n' I (Mere Dil Vich Hum Tum)" (2004), Rishi Rich featuring Juggy D and Veronica
- "Push It Up (Aaja Kuriye)" (2006), featuring Jay Sean and Juggy D
- "Fade Away (Yaad Naal Jeena)" (2009), Navin Kundra featuring Rishi Rich and Jay Sean
- "Freak" (2015), featuring Jay Sean and Juggy D
- "Ik Tera Pyar" (2016), Master Saleem featuring Rishi Rich
- "Dil Kya Kare (Did I Love You ?)" (2016), featuring Amrit Dasu
- "Diamond Jewel" (Rishi Rich Remix) (2016), featuring Mumzy Stranger, Lyan Roze and Yash Narvekar
- "Get Down" (2018), Juggy D featuring Rishi Rich and Ikka
Compilations and remix albums
- King of Hearts Queen of Hearts Vol.1
- King of Hearts Queen of Hearts Vol.2
- Love 2 Love 2000 – Chapter 6
- Pure Garage – Chapter 1
- Pure Garage – Chapter 2
- Pure Garage – Chapter 3
- Playback 2
- Gift 2 U
- Let the Music Play – "2005"
- Bombay Mix – CD 1
Awards & Nominations
- 2017: Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director for Half Girlfriend along with Mithoon, Tanishk Bagchi, Farhan Saeed, Ami Mishra & Rahul Mishra.
- on YouTube
- "BRITISH ASIAN MUSIC AWARDS 2004 LAUNCHED". 7 October 2004. Archived from the original on 10 February 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- Jay Sean on IMDb
- BBC. "BBC - Asian Network Music - Blog". Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Stephen Clark - Design. "Jay Sean: On top of the world". Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Nikhil Taneja (9 December 2009). "Juggy D, Rishi Rich back together". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 15 December 2009. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- "Rishi Rich and Bally Sagoo feat. Javed Bashir's 'Nahin Tere Jeha Hor Disda'". WhoSampled. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- Rishi Rich Feat. Jay Sean & Juggy D - Push It Up (Aaja Kurie. YouTube. 25 September 2007. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "About RRP – Rishi Rich Productions". rishirichproductions.com. Archived from the original on 11 March 2008. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Artists". rishirichproductions.com. Archived from the original on 12 April 2009. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Tash Tah Interview with Besharam.co.uk". Archived from the original on 7 May 2010.
- "2009 UK AMA Award Winners - on desihits.com". desihits.com. 6 March 2009. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- Stephen Clark - Design. "JAY SEAN: PRINCE CHARMING". Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Rishi Rich's A-List Wedding Of The Year! - Desi-Box.com - News, Music Videos, Interviews, Bollywood, Bhangra, Urban". Desi-Box.com - News, Music Videos, Interviews, Bollywood, Bhangra, Urban. Archived from the original on 13 May 2012. Retrieved 4 July 2015.