Rising Sun (board game)
|Designer(s)||Eric M. Lang|
|Publisher(s)||CMON Limited (2018)|
|Setup time||10 minutes|
|Playing time||90 - 120 minutes|
|Skill(s) required||Strategy, Diplomacy|
Rising Sun is a board game for 3 to 5 players designed by Eric M. Lang and published by CMON Limited in 2017. Rising Sun is a game about strategy, negotiation, and warfare in a feudal Japan where the ancient gods (Kami) have returned to rebuild the empire.
Rising Sun takes place in a mythical version of Japan. You lead a clan to conquest and gain the favors of the Gods.
The game consists of three played seasons. Players, in order to achieve their goals, can Train, Marshall, Harvest, Recruit or Betray. Each of these phases allows different actions. At the end of the season, players resolve combat in provinces claimed by two opponents. The combat has different options: Seppuku, Hostage, Rōnin and Imperial Poets. Monsters can be obtained to support the clans.
Release and reception
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2018)
Rising Sun was initially sold via Kickstarter, with about 31,262 backers contributing to $4,228,060 during the campaign. It was delivered to backers in April 2018 and then released in retail stores.
The initial reception of the board game was mixed, but favored positive reviews. Ars Technica described it as "A cerebral board game of conquest, diplomacy, and betrayal" and Board Games Land noted that the game is a "showpiece that looks epic and feels grandiose."
There were four official expansion released in 2018:
- Dynasty Invasion - adds 2 new clans to the game (Moon clan and Sun clan). Allowing it to be played by 6 players.
- Daimyo Box - contains all the exclusive stretch goals unlocked during the Kickstarter
- Kami Unbound - new ruleset which makes the presence of the Kami even more potent
- Monster Pack - adds four monsters, Oni of Plagues, Fire Dragon, Jinmenju and Jorogumo
- "Award 2018". RPC Germany | Rollenspiel & Fantasy Messe Köln (in German). Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Towle, Max(2018-01-24). "This 19-Year-Old Kiwi Farmer Accidentally Became a Character in a US Board Game." RadioNZ.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-12-05.
- Staff, Ars (2018-02-10). "Rising Sun—A cerebral board game of conquest, diplomacy, and betrayal". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- "Best War Board Games of 2019 Top 10". Board Games Land. 2019-02-16. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- "Rising Sun: Daimyo Box". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- "Rising Sun: Kami Unbound". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- "Rising Sun: Monster Pack". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2019-02-18.