Risk of Rain 2
|Risk of Rain 2|
|Release||PC, PS4, Switch & Xbox One|
August 11, 2020
September 29, 2020
|Genre(s)||Roguelike, third-person shooter|
Risk of Rain 2 is a roguelike third-person shooter developed by Hopoo Games and published by Gearbox Publishing. A sequel to 2013's Risk of Rain, it was released in early access for Microsoft Windows, and Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2019 before fully releasing on August 11, 2020 with a release for Google Stadia coming a month later.
Players control a survivor who is stranded on an alien planet. To survive, they navigate through various environments, killing monsters and looting chests to collect items that boost their offensive and defensive capabilities. Over time, the game's difficulty increases, spawning more powerful and dangerous creatures. The game supports up to four players in online multiplayer. The game received generally positive reviews upon release.
Risk of Rain 2 follows a similar approach as the first title, in which one to four players must progress several levels while killing enemies. On each level the goal is to locate a teleporter, randomly located on the level; once activated, the players must defend themselves from an onslaught of aliens, including bosses until the teleporter is fully active. Killing aliens gains experience and currency; the currency can be used to open chests that randomly drop items on the level. These collectible items offer a wide range of boosts to the players carrying them and provide both synergistic effects and the potential to stack their effects if multiple copies of the same items are acquired. However, the strength, difficulty, and numbers of aliens increase every five minutes, thus making the game harder the longer the players stay on any level. In the metagame, players unlock access to new playable characters, items, and game modifiers by completing certain in-game achievements; once unlocked, new characters or modifiers are available to select from at the start of the game, or the new items can start appearing randomly in-game.
Risk of Rain 2 features several of the same playable characters, creatures, and items from the first game, but transitions the game from 2D to a 3D environment.
When they started development on the sequel, Hopoo started with a 2D-based prototype with the player in control of one of the monsters in the first game, as to mix up the formula for the sequel. The transition to 3D was partly inspired by fan art for the original game that showed the various objects the player collected shown on the character. Hopoo wanted to use this approach for the sequel, but the 2D graphic approach did not give them enough visual space to work with. They transitioned the prototype from 2D to 2.5D, representing the character in 3D graphics but otherwise playing as a 2D platformer, however this did not work to their satisfaction and felt it was better to move the game fully to 3D, with the transition being relatively quick to complete. Hopoo Games noted that the 3D option provided "much deeper design spaces and more possibilities for cool gameplay" as well as more ways to artistically express themselves. The game was first announced the sequel in May 2017, at which time the team had been working on the game over the previous 6 months. . The sequel uses the Unity engine, which Hopoo had to learn for this, as well as the time in developing the 3D worlds. In designing some of the returning monsters Hoppo noted that they had to design new attacks to make them more challenging in a 3D space. . Items similarly had to be redesigned to deal with the dimension change.
Hopoo released the game into early access on Windows on March 27, 2019, at the time they estimated that the full development process they would take another year. During the early access period, Hopoo signed with Gearbox Publishing to release the game on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. It was also released in early access for those platforms on August 30, 2019. Its full release was initially scheduled for Q2 2020 but was delayed in order to expand the scope of its 1.0 update.
The game was released out of early access for Microsoft Windows on August 11, 2020. It was released for Stadia on September 29, 2020 with a timed exclusive level. The Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One are scheduled to receive the 1.0 update by the end of 2020.
On its launch into early access, Hopoo Games offered Risk of Rain 2 with a "buy one, get one free" promotion for the first few days. A week from release, Hopoo announced that over 650,000 players had played the game, with about 150,000 of those having taken advantage of the special promotion. Within a month of the game's early access release, it had sold over a million copies.
- Wood, Austin (December 22, 2017). "We finally get our first look at Risk of Rain 2". PC Gamer. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- Foxall, Sam (May 8, 2017). "Risk of Rain 2 is in development and it is making the jump from 2D to 3D". PCGamesN. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Harris, John (August 14, 2019). "How moving from 2D to 3D shaped the design of Risk of Rain 2". Gamasutra. Retrieved August 17, 2020.
- Chalk, Andy (November 9, 2018). "Risk of Rain 2 Early Access release is planned for early 2019". PC Gamer. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Chalk, Andy (March 28, 2019). "Risk of Rain 2 makes a surprise appearance on Steam". PC Gamer. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Kim, Matt (March 28, 2019). "Gearbox Publishing Announces Partnerships With Astroneer, Risk of Rain 2, Justin Roiland, and More". USGamer. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Devore, Jordan (August 30, 2019). "Risk of Rain 2 just popped up on Switch, PS4, and Xbox One". Destructoid. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
- Bailey, Dustin (May 22, 2020). "Risk of Rain 2's full release date delayed to August". PCGamesN. Retrieved August 17, 2020.
- Winslow, Jeremy. "Risk Of Rain 2 Leaves Early Access This August, Price Increase And New Updates Coming". GameSpot. Retrieved July 21, 2020.
- Bourdeau, Ian (August 11, 2020). "Risk of Rain 2 leaves early access with a tenth character, the Captain". PCGamesN. Retrieved August 11, 2020.
- Palm, Zack (May 22, 2020). "Risk of Rain 2 roadmap for 2020 – When does update 1.0 release?". GAMEPUR. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "Risk of Rain 2 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Hancock, Patrick (August 11, 2020). "Review: Risk of Rain 2". Destructoid. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Tucker, Kevin (August 11, 2020). "Risk of Rain 2 Review | Controlled Chaos". Game Revolution. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- King, Andrew (August 11, 2020). "Risk Of Rain 2 Review - When It Rains It Pours". GameSpot. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Duggan, James (April 28, 2020). "Risk of Rain 2 Early Access Review". IGN. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Vogel, Mitch (September 10, 2019). "Review: Risk of Rain 2 - Rough 'Early Access' Edges Can't Spoil This Rewarding Roguelike". Nintendo Life. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Fenlon, Wes (August 11, 2020). "Risk of Rain 2 review". PC Gamer. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Coombes, Lloyd (September 9, 2019). "Risk of Rain 2 - Frantically Challenging Action Makes for Compelling Co-Op". Push Square. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Kerr, Chris (April 4, 2019). "Buy-one-get-one-free sale helps Risk of Rain 2 attract 650,000 players in first week". Gamasutra. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Wilson, Jason (May 3, 2019). "Risk of Rain 2 storms to over 1 million copies sold after 1 month in Steam Early Access". Venture Beat. Retrieved May 3, 2019.