Cleveland County Courthouse in Rison - listed on National Register of Historic Places
Location in Cleveland County and the state of Arkansas
|• Mayor of Rison||Vernon R. Dollar|
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||269 ft (82 m)|
|• Density||513/sq mi (197.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0058495|
Rison is a city in and the county seat of Cleveland County, Arkansas, United States. Its population was 1,344 at the 2010 U.S. census. It is included in the Pine Bluff, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Rison is located in north-central Cleveland County at  U.S. Route 79 passes through the western side of the city, leading northeast 25 miles (40 km) to Pine Bluff and southwest 17 miles (27 km) to Fordyce..
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,271 people, 471 households, and 324 families residing in the city. The population density was 475.1 people per square mile (183.8/km²). There were 532 housing units at an average density of 198.9/sq mi (76.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 62.23% White, 33.36% Black or African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 1.73% from other races, and 2.12% from two or more races. 2.20% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 471 households out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0% were married couples living together, 19.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 30.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the city, the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 19.6% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 79.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $20,865, and the median income for a family was $30,833. Males had a median income of $26,500 versus $18,229 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,106. About 25.6% of families and 32.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 46.0% of those under age 18 and 30.5% of those age 65 or over.
Public education for early childhood, elementary and secondary school students is provided by the following:
- Cleveland County School District serves as the primary school district and is headquartered in Rison. Students graduate from Rison High School.
- Woodlawn School District with students graduating from Woodlawn High School.
- Star City School District with students graduating from Star City High School.
- Jeremy James, singer/songwriter originally from Rison
- Tyrell Johnson, NFL player for the Minnesota Vikings
- Jerry Taylor, Arkansas legislator and businessman
- Ed Wilson, Arkansas Entertainers Hall of Fame
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Rison city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- "Rison (Cleveland County)". The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.