Risto Kalevi Siilasmaa (born 17 April 1966 in Finland) is the chairman, founder and former CEO of F-Secure Corporation (formerly Data Fellows), an anti-virus and computer security software company based in Helsinki, Finland. He is also the biggest shareholder of F-Secure, owning around 40% of the company. A member of Nokia's board of directors since 2008, he has been its chairman from 2012 onwards, as well as Nokia's interim CEO by replacing Stephen Elop from 3 September 2013 to 29 April 2014 when Rajeev Suri appointed as the official CEO.
Siilasmaa founded F-Secure in 1988. He left his role as CEO of the company on 6 November 2006.
Siilasmaa is also well known as a business angel, investing in several technology startups such as Frosmo, Enevo and Wolt, and serving in their boards of directors. In his investing, he has stated that he is sometimes "motivated by soft values, not maximum returns."
After being appointed chairman of Nokia in mid-2012, he has led the company in one of the most successful corporate transformations ever. Through three transactions that he negotiated - the purchase of complete ownership of Nokia Siemens Networks, the sale of the handset business to Microsoft, and the acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent - Nokia has transformed from a bankruptcy candidate to a successful global technology leader. This is reflected in Nokia's value which has gone up fivefold over roughly two years. Even more revealingly, the enterprise value has grown from a low of only less than 1.5 billion euros soon after Siilasmaa started as chairman to well over 20 billion euros in early 2015. In a September 2018 interview with CNN in Switzerland, he described Nokia as an "experimenter."
The transformation of Nokia has also included Siilasmaa renewing the board and the management, with the vast majority of employees newly joining in the company's new phase. Siilasmaa has often stated that all the atoms in Nokia have been changed but the spirit of the 150-year-old company lives on.
In October 2018, Siilasmaa published a book about Nokia, Transforming Nokia: The Power of Paranoid Optimism to Lead Through Colossal Change. In it, he criticises predecessor chairman Jorma Ollila's leadership style and claimed they fell out.
- Efecte, Member of the Board of Directors (since 2008)
- Ekahau, Chairman of the Board of Directors (since 2007)
- Elisa, Member of the Board of Directors (2008–2012)
- Confederation of Finnish Industries (EK), Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors
- European Round Table of Industrialists (ERT), Member
- Helsinki University of Technology, Member of the Advisory Board
- Finnish Innovation Fund (Sitra), Member of the Research Council
- "Risto Siilasmaa Bio at Nokia". Nokia Corporation. Archived from the original on 2009-01-24. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- Meet the board Nokia Corporation. Retr. 27th Nov 2012
- "Nokia to sell Devices & Services business to Microsoft in EUR 5.44 billion all-cash transaction". Nokia. 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "F-Securen Siilasmaa ryhtyi bisnesenkeliksi" (in Finnish). Digitoday. 2007-03-30. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Risto Siilasmaa - Investments". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Cord, David J. (2012). Mohamed 2.0. Helsingfors: Schildts & Söderströms. pp. 150–152. ISBN 978-951-52-2898-7.
- Board of Directors: Risto Siilasmaa Nokia.
- Members European Round Table of Industrialists.
| Nokia Corporation CEO
| Nokia Corporation Chairman
|This Finnish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|