Cover of the first volume of Ristorante Paradiso
|Genre||Slice of life, Romance|
|Written by||Natsume Ono|
|Published by||Ohta Publishing|
|Magazine||Manga Erotics F|
|Original run||May 2005 – March 2006|
|Gente ~Ristorante no Hitobito~|
|Written by||Natsume Ono|
|Published by||Ohta Publishing|
|Magazine||Manga Erotics F|
|Original run||September 2006 – 2009|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Mitsuko Kase|
|Network||Fuji TV (Noise)|
|Original run||April 8, 2009 – June 24, 2009|
Ristorante Paradiso (Japanese: リストランテ・パラディーゾ Hepburn: Risutorante Paradīzo?), also known as Rispara (リスパラ Risupara?), is a manga series by Natsume Ono, detailing the daily lives of the staff of a restaurant in Rome. The first iteration of the series was serialized in Ōtashuppan's Manga Erotics F manga magazine between May 2005 and March 2006; it spanned one volume. A continuation, Gente ~Ristorante no Hitobito~, is currently being serialized in the same magazine, with three volumes published. An anime adaptation, produced by David Production, aired on Fuji TV's late night Noise programming block from April 5, 2009, the anime was also officially streamed with English subtitles by Crunchyroll. Both manga, Ristorante Paradiso and Gente, have been licensed by Viz Media for an English North American release.
- Nicoletta (ニコレッタ Nikoretta?)
- Voiced by: Fumiko Orikasa
- The protagonist of the series. 21 years old, Nicoletta is an energetic girl whose parents divorced when she was young and was as a result raised by her grandparents. Upon graduating from cooking school, she began working as an apprentice at the Casetta dell'Orso restaurant and is its only female staff. She has a crush on Claudio.
- Santo Claudio Paradiso (サント・クラウディオ・パラディーゾ Santo Kuraudio Paradīzo?)
- Voiced by: Jin Yamanoi
- The head waiter of Casetta dell'Orso. He and his first wife Gabriella separated a few years previous to the start of the series. He still wears his wedding ring to dissuade women from pursuing him.
- Luciano de Luca (ルチアーノ・デ・ルーカ Ruchiāno de Rūka?)
- Voiced by: Mitsutaka Tachikawa
- A waiter at Casetta dell'Orso. A very blunt but occasionally shy person. He is a widower, but still cares deeply for his departed wife, and ignores the advances of other women. He has a daughter, Rosemary, and a grandson, Francesco.
- Vito (ヴィート Vīto?)
- Voiced by: Takaya Kuroda
- A waiter at Casetta dell'Orso. A very jovial person, he is married to a young woman who is a college student, whom he met through their mutual workout routines. He is a very flirtatious man, but openly reveals that he is already married and very much in love.
- Gian Luigi Orsini (Gigi) (ジジ Jiji?)
- Voiced by: Shigeo Kiyama
- The sommelier at Casetta dell'Orso. A taciturn person, he is Lorenzo's half brother and cousin. Gigi rarely speaks, but by observing people, is able to tell what they are thinking, including perfectly matching one's taste with a wine. He is currently single.
- Furio (フリオ?)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiko Nishimatsu
- A chef. A friendly person. He is a devoted husband to his wife, Angela. He and Claudio previously worked in a hotel together when they were much younger.
- Teo (テオ?)
- Voiced by: Yōji Ueda
- A chef. The youngest member of the restaurant staff; he is a talented pasty chef.
- Olga (オルガ Oruga?)
- Voiced by: Haruhi Terada
- Nicoletta's mother. A sought-after divorce lawyer in Rome. She left Nicoletta with her grandmother at a young age so that she could get re-married.
- Gabriella (ガブリエッラ Gaburierra?)
- Voiced by: Misa Watanabe
- Claudio's ex-wife. A lawyer who works in the same office as Olga; they are best friends, and is the only person Olga tells that Nicoletta is her daughter.
- Lorenzo Orsini (ロレンツォ Rorentso?)
- Voiced by: Kenji Nomura
- Olga's current husband and owner of Casetta dell'Orso. 51 years old.
- Vanna (ヴァンナ?)
- Voiced by: Yoko Sōmi
- A former chef of Casetta dell'Orso. She left to live in America with her family a few years previous to the start of the series. Teo looks up to her as a mentor.
Anime TV series
The Ristorante Paradiso anime adaptation aired on Fuji TV's late night Noise programming block from April 5, 2009. Produced by david production, being the studio's first anime TV series production, the series is slated for 11 episodes. The anime has been licensed by Right Stuf Inc. and was released under their new label Lucky Penny on November 6, 2012.
- Director: Mitsuko Kase
- Art director: Yasufumi Soejima
- Series composition: Shin'ichi Inotsume
- Script: Shin'ichi Inotsume, Megumi Sasano
- Character design: Itsuko Takeda
- 3DCGI: Masato Taira, Takendo Kobayashi
- Art settings: Junko Shimizu
- Color designs: Keiko Kai, Hitomi Ikeda
- Director of photography: Eiji Ueda
- Sound director: Toshiki Kameyama
- Music: ko-ko-ya
- Editing: Kengo Shigemura
- Animation production: david production
- Production: Rispara Production Committee (Fuji Television, Shochiku, Movic, Yomiko Advertising, Sony PLC, Hakuhodo DY Media Partners)
- Opening theme
- "Marigold" (マリーゴールド Marīgōrudo?)
- Lyrics: Tomoko Nagashima, composition and arrangement: Kazuma Fujimoto, performance: orange pekoe
- Ending theme
- "Suteki na Kajitsu" (ステキな果実?, literally "Lovely Fruit")
- Lyrics: Yūho Iwasato, composition: Lisa Komine, arrangement: Rie Hamada, performance: Lisa Komine
- Theme song
- "Palette" (パレット Paretto?) (episode 3 only)
- Lyrics: Natsumi Kiyoura, composition: Shun Yoshida, arrangement: ko-ko-ya, performance: Natsumi Kiyoura
Episode 1: Nicoletta arrives at the restaurant and threatens to expose her mother's secret. She is introduced to Claudio, the restaurant staff, and Olga's new husband, Lorenzo. Olga loans a furnished apartment to Nicoletta.
Episode 2: While searching for a job, Nicoletta runs into Luciano and his grandson. Something that the grandson says inspires her to ask Olga for a job at the restaurant. Claudio walks Nicoletta home through the rain, and she tells him that she has feelings for him. Later, Claudio's ex-wife comes to the restaurant for dinner, and Nicoletta interrupts a conversation between Claudio and his ex-wife. Nicoletta is left wondering why Claudio really wears his wedding ring.
Episode 3 After a conversation with Luciano, Claudio begins to avoid Nicoletta. Nicoletta and Olga have a conversation about Nicoletta's feelings for Claudio, and she realizes that she is in love with him.
Episode 4 When an old sous chef stops by for a dinner with the owner and his wife, Nicoletta has a chance to learn a bit of the history of the Casetta dell'Orso.
Episode 5 The owner and Gigi (the sommelier) are half-brothers, and also cousins—the owner's father had an affair with *his* brother's wife. As a result of the affair, Gigi and the owner didn't meet until they were in their twenties, when they hit it off well, and decided their fathers' feud had nothing to do with them.
Gigi observes people closely --- it's how he's able to pick just the right wine for them --- so he's figured out that Nicoletta is Olga's daughter.
Episode 6 Vito (the tall, bald campiere) is a lady's man who dearly loves his wife.
Together with several of the other staff of Casetta dell'Orso, they set another young lady's man straight.
Episode 7 Luciano's grandson has a birthday coming up, and for Luciano, the staff of Casetta dell'Orso are willing to go all out.
Episode 8 A glimpse into Claudio's past --- back when he dropped dishes all the time and spilled wine on the blouses of rich ladies. Claudio's reminisces are used as a foil for Nicoletta's dish-dropping and general unhandiness around the kitchen.
The occasion of these reflections is the arrival of Angela, the wife of Furio the head chef. Angela was the daughter of the hotel-owner where Claudio got his start --- Furio was a chef there who showed Claudio some kindness.
Angela arrives with the hotel manager who fired Claudio. The manager, who has retired, but is in town for a visit, does not recognize Claudio, and is terrifically impressed with Claudio, wondering where he learned such skills as a waiter.
Episode 9 The heating is broken, so the restaurant is closed. It's not empty, though --- the kitchen staff are trying out dishes for the spring menu, with Nicoletta trying to scrape together something palatable. Reflections on Teo's tumultuous past with Vanna. Again, foils for Nicoletta. Just as Teo is dismissive of Nicoletta's skills as a cook, Vanna was dismissive of Teo.
Episode 10 A comparison between Luciano (who rejects the advances of a woman, because he has not forgotten his dead wife), and Claudio (who cannot let go of his love for his ex-wife).
Mixed in: Gabriella, Claudio's ex, keeps coming to the restaurant. Nicoletta confronts her, telling her it is cruel to come so often, since she knows how Claudio feels.
Episode 11 The conclusion of the arc begun in episode 10. Luciano tells Claudio directly that it is time he removed his wedding ring.
Olga's birthday. Nicoletta bakes her a cake. Olga is so moved (and moved by the events surrounding Claudio and his wife --- who is Olga's business partner --- that she confesses that Nicoletta is her daughter. Lorenzo tells her he has known since Nicoletta started work at the Casetta dell'Orso: Nicoletta and Olga have the same smile.
The series ends with Nicoletta noticing that Claudio no longer wears his wedding ring.
- "Natsume Ono's Ristorante Paradiso Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. 2008-11-19. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "Ristorante Paradiso Slice-of-Life Anime's Promos Posted". Anime News Network. 2009-03-25. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "リストランテ・パラディーゾ：老眼鏡紳士ズラリ「枯れ専」注目作 フジ「ＮＯＩＳＥ」でアニメ化". Mainichi Shimbun. 2009-02-20. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "優木まおみ：「紳士萌え～！」"枯れ専"ぶり語る アニメ「リストランテ・パラディーゾ」試写". Mainichi Shimbun. 2009-03-30. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "RIGHT STUF'S LUCKY PENNY ENT. Announces DVD Release of RISTORANTE PARADISO". RightStuf. Retrieved 23 December 2012.