|Born||10 March 1959|
|Labels||Label Bleu, Le Chant du Monde, Pony Canyon, Egea, Nicolosi|
|Associated acts||Dewey Redman|
Rita Marcotulli (born 10 March 1959) is an Italian jazz pianist and composer.
Born in Rome, Marcotulli is the daughter of a sound engineer who collaborated with Nino Rota and Ennio Morricone, among others. She started playing piano at five years old and graduated in classical music from the Santa Cecilia Conservatory.
Marcotulli began her professional career in the early 1980s and made her first recording in 1984. Thanks to a series of prestigious collaborations, including Richard Galliano, Chet Baker, Enrico Rava, Kenny Wheeler, Peter Erskine, and Steve Grossman, in a few years she established herself as an important figure in the contemporary jazz scene.
In 1987 Marcotulli was nominated for the Best Young Talent Award in the NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll. In 1988 she toured in the U.S. and in Europe with Billy Cobham, also appearing in Cobham 's album Incoming. In 1996 she duetted with Pat Metheny at the Sanremo Music Festival. She has also had a long-term musical relationship with Dewey Redman.
Also active as a composer of incidental music and musical scores for films, in 2010 Marcotulli won the David di Donatello for Best Score as well as the Ciak d'oro and the Nastro d'Argento in the same category for the score of Rocco Papaleo's Basilicata Coast to Coast.
- The Woman Next Door (Label Bleu, 1998)
- Triboh (Polo Sud, 2000)
- Koiné (Le Chant du Monde, 2002)
- Oslo Party (Pony Canyon, 2003)
- L' Amico del Vento (Egea, 2005)
- The Light Side of the Moon (Le Chant du Monde, 2006)
- On the Edge of a Perfect Moment (Incipit, 2007)
- Zapping (Egea, 2008)
- Variazioni Su Tema (S'ARD, 2011)
- Basilicata Coast to Coast (Alice, 2011)
- La Conversazione (Abeat, 2013)
- Paolo & Rita (2015)
- TrioKala (Nicolosi, 2016)
With Gianmaria Testa
- Lampo (1998)
- Altre Latitudini (Le Chant du Monde, 2003)
With Michael Benita
- Preferences (Label Bleu, 1990)
- Soul (Label Bleu, 1993)
- Nauplia, Maria Pia de Vito (Egea, 1995)
- In London, Dewey Redman (Palmetto, 1998)
- Incoming, Billy Cobham (1989)
- Ian Carr, Digby Fairweather, Brian Priestley. "Rita Marcotulli". The Rough Guide to Jazz. Rough Guides, 2004. ISBN 1843532565.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Colin Larkin. "Marcotulli, Rita". The Encyclopedia of Popular Music: Volume 5. MUZE, 2006. ISBN 0195313739.
- e. a. (21 February 1996). "Metheny: la mia musica per l'Italia". La Repubblica. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- Poorva Joshi (28 January 2016). "Italian pianist Rita Marcotulli mixes Pink Floyd with jazz". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- Carlo Moretti (9 May 2011). "Rita Marcotulli la pianista jazz che piace al cinema". La Repubblica. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Rita Marcotulli | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 10 December 2016.