July 19, 1968 |
|Television||America Te Ve|
Rita Rosina Verreos (born July 19, 1968) is a TV Host/Anchor, actress, beauty pageant coach, model, and former beauty pageant & reality television contestant.
A native of Venezuela, Verreos moved to San Francisco with her family when she was 8 years old. She attended UC Berkeley before graduating with Cum Laude from the University of California at Los Angeles with a bachelor's degree in Italian and French Literature. She is a member of the Golden Key National Honor Society. After graduating from UCLA, she got married and moved to Mexico City to live with her husband and children for 11 years before moving to San Antonio in 2003. She and her husband divorced in 2004.
She currently lives in Miami, Fla. Rita married Actor and Producer Carl Mergenthaler (www.imdb.me/carlmergenthaler) on June 8, 2014.
Verreos was a contestant in the Miss Venezuela 1988 pageant while representing Municipio Vargas, and competed in the 1988 "Reinado Mundial de Banano" pageant in Machala, Ecuador, placing second to Ximena Correa of Ecuador. Verreos has also judged many pageants, including Miss Oklahoma USA, Miss Kansas USA, Miss Hawaiian Tropic San Antonio, Miss, Teen & Mrs. International. She's currently one of the Top Beauty Pageant Coaches in the U.S., coaching young women for many pageants including Miss Texas, Miss California and Miss USA pageants.
Rita was recruited by Survivor casting director Lynne Spillman at a beauty pageant, and became a contestant on Survivor: Fiji, the 14th season of the series. Her strategy was to draw on her sex appeal to win the show's million dollar prize. She lost 15 pounds during filming, and suffered broken cartilage in her nose. Verreos was the sixth castaway to leave the island.
Verreos was a contestant on the May 29th, 2009, episode of The Price is Right, making it on stage by becoming the closest bidder and won her pricing game. At the wheel, Verreos came 35 cents shy of winning the first showcase showdown. Verreos is also a spokesperson for H-E-B, a San Antonio-based supermarket chain.
Verreos has gone on to host "En Nuestro Hogar," which aired on Telemundo and Azteca America in San Antonio (June, 2007), fill-in for the Kens 5 (CBS) morning news Traffic Anchor (2008), a Guest Host on HSN (Jan 2009-Jan. 2010) and as a "Beauty Tips Host/Expert" on Fox UTILISIMA's "Hola Martin" (Aug.2011-Dec. 2011), Fill-In "News Desk Anchor," (KVDA) TELEMUNDO. She appeared as the TV Spokesperson in the World Car TV commercials (UNIVISION,TELEMUNDO,2008–2014) as well as their infommercials on WOAI(San Antonio). She has appeared in the National TV commercials [BEDOYECTA]] Vitamins. Verreos was the In-Arena Host for the San Antonio Silver Stars basketball team during the 2011 Season at the AT & T Center. She created, Produced and was Host of LATIN CONNECTION TV webshow (2008-2014). Rita is currently "Entertainment News Host/CoProducer" on America Te Ve's "AQP" Show.
Verreos is a former professional ballerina, and has modeled in Venezuela, Mexico, and Los Angeles, for designers such as Oscar de la Renta and Victor Alfaro. She also appeared in the 1990 film Marked for Death.
- Goodman, Tim (2007-02-07). "'Lost Finds Its Way. 'Survivor,' Sadly, Does Not.". San Francisco Chronicle. Hearst Communications. p. E1. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
Another contestant, Rita Verreos, 42, grew up in San Francisco and went to UC Berkeley for 2 years.
- Arispe, Rudy (2007-01-18). "Fiji Feels the Heat". Conexión. Hearst Corporation. p. 4A. Archived from the original (Fee required) on 2007-05-16. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
- Rodriguez, Julio (2005-02-05). "Noticias de Febrero 5, 2005" (in Spanish). Belleza Venezolana.net. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
Rita Rosina Verreos (Municipio Vargas) fue enviada a dos eventos. Primero al "Reinado Mundial de Banano 1988", en Machala (Ecuador). Clasificó como virreina. Ganó Ximena Correa (Ecuador). Posteriormente fue Miss San Francisco en el "Nuestra Belleza" en donde figuro como Segunda Finalista. Se regresó a San Francisco, California (USA), donde vivía. En 1993 apareció en Venezuela, como novia del cantante inglés Peter Gabriel. Más nunca
- "International Titles and Crowns". Miss Venezuela Organization. 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
- Rentería, Melisa (2007-02-15). "Hot Latinas, Your Time to Shine is Now". Conexión. Hearst Corporation. p. 7A. Archived from the original (Fee required) on 2007-05-16. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
A finalist in the 2005 Hottest Latina contest, Verreos is a contestant on the reality show 'Survivor: Fiji,' currently airing on CBS. She also has competed in CMT's competitive reality show, 'The Ultimate Coyote Ugly Search.'
- Jakle, Jeanne (2007-02-07). "Survival Skills". San Antonio Express News. Hearst Corporation. p. 1G. Archived from the original (Fee required) on 2007-05-16. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
- Jakle, Jeanne (2007-03-28). "'Survivor' Has Advice for Possible Contestants". San Antonio Express News. Hearst Corporation. p. 1G. Archived from the original (Fee required) on 2007-05-16. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
- "KENS5 Eyewitness News at 5". yes. San Antonio, Texas. 2007-02-08. CBS. KENS-TV. Missing or empty
- "San Antonio woman selected for Survivor: Fiji". Dayton Daily News. Cox Enterprises. 2007-01-12. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
Rita Verreos, 42, a former professional ballerina, is also among the castaways on the South Pacific island. She is the younger sister of Project Runway fashion designer Nick Verreos, so maybe she and Yi discussed haute couture to pass the time.
- Scott, A. O. "Rita Verreos - Filmography - Movies - New York Times". New York Times. All Media Guide, LLC. Retrieved 2007-05-18.