Riteish Vilasrao Deshmukh
Deshmukh at an event for Housefull, 2010
Ritesh Vilasrao Deshmukh
17 December 1978
|Spouse(s)||Genelia D'Souza Deshmukh (m.2012)|
|Parent(s)||Vilasrao Deshmukh (father) Vaishalitai Deshmukh (Mother) |
|Relatives||Amit Deshmukh(brother) Dheeraj Deshmukh(brother)|
Riteish Vilasrao Deshmukh (born 17 December 1978) is an Indian film actor, producer and architect. He is known for his work in Hindi and Marathi cinema. He is the son of the former Chief Minister of Maharashtra late Vilasrao Deshmukh and Vaishali Deshmukh.
After making his acting debut with the 2003 drama Tujhe Meri Kasam, Deshmukh gained praise for his performance in the 2004 comedy Masti. Subsequently, he starred in several critically and commercially comedy films, including Bardaasht (2004), Kya Kool Hai Hum (2005), Bluffmaster! (2005), Malamaal Weekly (2006), Heyy Babyy (2007), Dhamaal (2007), and Double Dhamaal (2011) – and achieved further success with starring roles in several top-grossing comedy films, including Housefull (2010), Housefull 2 (2012), Grand Masti (2013), and Housefull 3 (2016). In 2014, Deshmukh received critical acclaim for his performance as a serial killer in the top-grossing thriller Ek Villain that earned him several awards and nominations. In 2019, he played a fire officer in the adventure comedy Total Dhamaal, which ranks as his highest-grossing release.
Apart from Hindi films, Deshmukh has made his debut as a film producer with the Marathi success Balak Palak (2013). The following year, he made his acting debut in Marathi cinema with the action film Lai Bhaari (2014).
Deshmukh made his Hindi film debut with the 2003 romance, Tujhe Meri Kasam opposite Genelia D'Souza. He later appeared in Out of Control. In his third film, Masti, a comic thriller, his role was widely disparaged. Regardless, the film performed well at the box office. He gained fame after his performance in Masti, which earned him two minor awards. He subsequently appeared Bardaasht and Naach, both of them being box-office duds. His first relatively successful lead role occurred in the widely panned sex-comedy Kyaa Kool Hai Hum with Tusshar Kapoor. While the film was reviled by critics, it was appreciated by audiences and declared a moderate success at the box office. Ritesh, by now had earned a strong foothold in the Bollywood film industry via his comic roles
He appeared in Malamaal Weekly and Apna Sapna Money Money apart from Bluffmaster! with Abhishek Bachchan in the lead. He was seen in guest roles in Ram Gopal Varma's Darna Zaroori Hai, and then Namastey London, which was a box office hit. In 2007, Cash followed. Later that year, he appeared in Sajid Khan's directorial debut Heyy Babyy, co-starring Akshay Kumar and Fardeen Khan, which was a huge hit. He appeared in the comedy Dhamaal which was a semi hit.
In 2009, his first release was Aladin, co-starring Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt and Jacqueline Fernandez. He was in the multi-starcast, Aladin. He then played a supporting role in Ram Gopal Varma's Rann, again co-starring Amitabh Bachchan, Paresh Rawal and Rajpal Yadav. His final film of 2009 was Do Knot Disturb with Govinda, Sushmita Sen, Sohail Khan and Lara Dutta.
In 2010, he worked with Sajid Khan on the comedy Housefull with Akshay Kumar, Deepika Padukone, Lara Dutta, Arjun Rampal and Jiah Khan. The film received negative response from critics, though it performed well commercially. His first release of 2011 was F.A.L.T.U., in which he played the role of Bajirao, a fake college principal. His second release of the year was the comic sequel Double Dhamaal. Both were above-average grossers and very successful.
In 2012, he first appeared in Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya in which he is paired opposite his real wife Genelia D'Souza. It proved a commercial hit despite being a shoestring budget. He then starred in a sequel, Housefull 2, which released on 6 April 2012 and was a huge success like its predecessor. Housefull 2 has been marked as Ritesh's biggest success to date. His last release of the year and his latest film was sequel Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum, which released on 27 July 2012.
Deshmukh then starred in another sequel, this time to the 2004 hit Masti titled Grand Masti which released in September 2013 and became a box office success, despite receiving negative reviews. Deshmukh made his debut as a film producer with the Marathi film Balak Palak, directed by Ravi Jadhav. It released on 4 January 2013 and was a success. Deshmukh has decided to make a Hindi remake of the film.
In 2014, Deshmukh appeared in 2 completely different roles; first in the romance-comedy film Humshakals, which was a box office failure and then in the romance-thriller Ek Villain. With Ek Villain, Riteish made his debut as an antagonist (villain), acting a part like this for the first time. Ek Villain was a box office success. Besides this, he also made his acting debut in Marathi cinema the same year with the action film Lai Bhaari.
In 2016, he appeared in the third installment of the Housefull and Masti series Housefull 3 and Great Grand Masti and a musical drama Banjo. He appeared in the comedy film Bank Chor which was released in 2017 and is scheduled to appear in action film Mauli.
Deshmukh is a son of the ex-Union Minister of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises India, the late Vilasrao Deshmukh and Vaishali. He has an elder brother named Amit and a younger brother named Dheeraj, both of them politicians. Deshmukh studied at G D Somani Memorial School and earned an architectural degree from Kamla Raheja College of Architecture, Mumbai. He practiced for a year with an overseas architectural firm. He continued designing since his return to India. Deshmukh maintains an ownership in Evolutions, an India-based architectural and interior designing firm.
Deshmukh launched his own production house Mumbai Film Company in 2013 with producing a Marathi film Balak Palak, which was a huge success and won several awards. In 2013, he also launched his cricket team Veer Marathi in Celebrity Cricket League which he owned as well as mentored as the team captain co-owned by brother Dheeraj Deshmukh, while the brand ambassador is wife Genelia D'souza. In their very first season, they entered the semi-finals.
Deshmukh has also been recognized as a producer and singer.
He married Genelia D'Souza, his co-star from Tujhe Meri Kasam, Masti and Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya on 3 February 2012. Their first son, Riaan, was born on 25 November 2014. Their second son, Rahyl, was born on 1 June 2016.
The actor donated Rs 25 lakhs to his home town Latur for 'Jalyukta Latur', an initiative to make the parched district water sufficient.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2003||Tujhe Meri Kasam||Rishi||Bollywood debut |
|2003||Out of Control||Jaswinder|||
|2005||Kyaa Kool Hai Hum||Karan Pandey|
|2005||Mr Ya Miss||Shekhar|
|2005||Bluffmaster!||Aditya Shrivastav (Dittu) / Arjun Bajaj|
|2006||Fight Club - Members Only||Somil Sharma|
|2006||Darna Zaroori Hai||Altaaf|
|2006||Apna Sapna Money Money||Kishen / Sanya|
|2007||Heyy Babyy||Tanmay Joglekar|
|2009||Do Knot Disturb||Govardhan|
|2010||Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai||Rajesh Parekh|
|2011||Double Dhamaal||Deshbandhu Roy|
|2011||Koochie Koochie Hota Hai||Chicken Boy (voice)||Animated film|
|2012||Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya||Viren Chowdhary|
|2012||Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum||Sid|
|2013||Grand Masti||Amar Saxena|
|2014||Ek Villain||Rakesh Mahadkar||Negative role as a psychic|
|2014||Lai Bhaari||Mauli / Prince||Debut Marathi film |
|2015||Bangistan||Hafeez Bin Ali / Ishwarchand Sharma|
|2016||Great Grand Masti||Amar Saxena|||
|2018||Welcome to New York||Riteish|
|2018||Mauli||Inspector Mauli Sarjerao Deshmukh||Marathi language|
|2005||Home Delivery||Party Time|
|2007||Namastey London||Bobby Bedi|
|2007||Om Shanti Om||Himself||Special Appearance in song "Deewangi Deewangi"|
|2009||Kal Kisne Dekha||Kali Charan|
|2009||Aao Wish Karein||Adult Bonny|
|2010||Jhootha Hi Sahi||Caller No 2 / Aman||Voice Over|
|2011||Love Breakups Zindagi||Kunal|
|2016||Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3||Satya Nash|
|2008||IIFA Awards Bangkok||Co Host Boman Irani |
– Also Performed
|2009||IIFA Awards Macau||Co Host Boman Irani |
– Also Performed
|2010||IIFA Awards Colombo||Co Host Boman Irani|
|2011||IIFA Awards Toronto||Co Host Boman Irani|
|2011||Airtel Superstar Awards||Co Host Sonakshi Sinha|
|2013||Zee Cine Awards||Co Host Abhishek Bachchan|
|2013||India's Dancing Superstar||Judge|
|2013||CCL Glam Night||Co Host Ayushman Khurana|
|2014||Zee Cine Awards||Co Host Abhishek Bachchan|
|2015||Sansui Colors Stardust Awards||Co Host Farah Khan and Karan Johar|
|2016||"Yaaron ki baraat"||Co Host Sajid Khan|
|2016||Vikta Ka Uttar||Solo Host Quiz Show|
Awards and nominations
- Sen, Sushmita (16 December 2015). "Happy birthday Riteish Deshmukh: Rare photos and lesser known facts about 'Housefull 3' actor". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- IANS (17 December 2015). "Riteish Deshmukh turns 38, gets wishes galore from B-Town". The Indian Express. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- Gupta, Priya (7 June 2014). "Yes, Genelia is pregnant and we are both very excited about it: Ritesh Deshmukh". Times of India. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "SRemembering Vilasrao Deshmukh". Hindustan Times.
- "The CM's son who wants to act". Rediff. 25 April 2002. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "'Lai Bhaari': Riteish Deshmukh delivers highest grossing Marathi film!". Zee News. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Riteish Deshmukh's fans still remember his debut film - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Why Ritesh loves the movies". Rediff. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "The Rediff Interview / Ritesh Deshmukh: Everyone works for Cash". Rediff. 12 July 2007. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Riteish Deshmukh – Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 28 December 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "HEYY BABYY: Akshay Kumar's biggest hit to date!". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 12 December 2008. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Ritesh Dehmukh – Filmography". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 25 October 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- Ganesan, Ranjita. "Has Riteish Deshmukh finally come of age?". Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Riteish Deshmukh-Genelia blessed with son". The Times Group. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Genelia D'Souza announces their son's name: Riaan Riteish Deshmukh". CNN-IBN. 6 December 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D'Souza have revealed their second son's name on Twitter". India Today. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Its a baby boy for Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia Deshmukh, elder son Riaan announces on Twitter". India Today. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Riteish Deshmukh contributes Rs 25 lakh for drought-hit Latur". Times of India. 26 April 2016.
- "Grand Masti 3 shoot begins with a selfie!". Zee News. 20 May 2015.
- Service, Bollywood News (18 June 2016). "Vivek Oberoi to have two releases this year". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Riteish Deshmukh.|