Location of Riva, Maryland
|• Total||2.9 sq mi (7.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||43 ft (13 m)|
|• Density||1,659/sq mi (640.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0591136|
Riva is a census-designated place (CDP) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. The population was 4,076 at the 2010 census. The area is scenic, especially where the two-lane Riva Road crosses the South River on a bridge. The area is growing with large new homes as the suburbs of Annapolis grow outward.
Riva is located at (38.952079, -76.582135).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.9 square miles (7.5 km2), of which 2.5 square miles (6.4 km2) is land and 0.46 square miles (1.2 km2), or 15.37%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,966 people, 1,423 households, and 1,169 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,589.0 people per square mile (612.5/km²). There were 1,453 housing units at an average density of 582.2/sq mi (224.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.23% White, 3.43% African American, 1.21% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.12% of the population.
There were 1,423 households out of which 37.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.1% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.8% were non-families. 13.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 32.0% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 102.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $88,287, and the median income for a family was $95,457. Males had a median income of $54,750 versus $36,122 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $41,975. About 1.1% of families and 0.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.2% of those under age 18 and 1.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Peter Bondra, former NHL player, now general manager of the Slovakia men's national ice hockey team
- David Correy, X-Factor Season 2 contestant
- Michael Glennon, Advertising Executive Producer based in New York
- Laura Greenback, Thought leader and communications director focused on social policy. Currently based out of Washington, D.C.
- Sara Greenback, Expert English as a Second Language Instructor and Program Manager
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Riva CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.