River Edge station
Eastbound train arriving at River Edge in 2011
|Location||River Edge Road
River Edge, NJ
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 165 and 762
Rockland Coaches: 11
(all connections on Kinderkamack Road)
|Parking||Yes (permit required)|
|Station code||779 (Erie Railroad)|
|Rebuilt||Sept. 22, 1902|
|Passengers (2012)||495 (average weekday)|
River Edge is a New Jersey Transit rail station on the Pascack Valley Line. The station is one of two rail stations in River Edge, New Jersey and is located at River Edge Road and Park Avenue, one block east of Kinderkamack Road and three blocks west of River Road. The original station caught fire on February 8, 1901 from a spark from a passing train. The station was rebuilt and reopened on September 22, 1902. The station was named by a committee of donors that helped to fund the building of the new station and voted to name it River Edge station. The station has a heated waiting area for passengers. The New Bridge Landing station is also located in River Edge.
This line runs to Hoboken Terminal with connections via the Secaucus Junction transfer station to New Jersey Transit service to New York Penn Station and to other NJ Transit rail service. Connections are available at Hoboken Terminal to other New Jersey Transit rail lines, the PATH Train, New York Waterways ferry service to the World Financial Center and other destinations and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service.
|1||■ Pascack Valley Line||toward Spring Valley (Oradell)|
|■ Pascack Valley Line||toward Hoboken (New Bridge Landing)|
The station has one track and one low-level side platform.
Permit parking is operated by the Borough of River Edge. For New Milford Residents, there is a commuter lot provided by the Borough located nearly two block away in New Milford, NJ. River Edge Station parking lot permits are issued on a lottery system basis only. River Edge Station parking permits are only available to residents of River Edge; a copy of a drivers license must be sent in with the completed application. Forms are available at the Borough's website or at the Police Department desk at Borough Hall.
Daily parking spaces are not available at the River Edge Station parking lot.
In popular culture
The River Edge Station can also be seen in a scene of the 2008 movie Be Kind Rewind.
- "List of Station Names and Numbers". Jersey City, New Jersey: Erie Railroad. May 1, 1916. Retrieved November 23, 2010.
- "Pascack Valley Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- The historical information is provided by Kevin Wright KINDERGAN, ASHLEY. northjersey.com. HISTORIC RIVER EDGE STATION BACK IN USE. http://www.northjersey.com/2news/2transportation/46328177.html . Google's cache Jul 15, 2009 23:46:19 GMT
- River Edge Commuter Links, River Edge, New Jersey. Accessed August 29, 2007.
Media related to River Edge (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons