River Heads, Queensland
|Population||1,539 (2016 census)|
|• Density||74.35/km2 (192.6/sq mi)|
|Area||20.7 km2 (8.0 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10:00)|
|LGA(s)||Fraser Coast Region|
|State electorate(s)||Hervey Bay|
River Heads is 18 kilometres (11 mi) south of the city of Hervey Bay. The town is built on a narrow peninsula surrounded by the Great Sandy Strait (to the east), the mouth of the Mary River (south) and the mouth of the Susan River (a tributary of the Mary) to the west.
River Heads was originally called Bingham, but was renamed on 22 November 1986.
Bingham State School opened on 10 May 1915 (probably then known as Mary River Heads Provisional School). It closed on 5 September 1926.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "River Heads (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "River Heads – town in Fraser Coast Region (entry 28531)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- "River Heads – locality in Fraser Coast Region (entry 46670)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "River Heads (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- Flynn, Justin; Olivia Pozzan; Paul Harding (2008). Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef. Lonely Planet. p. 211. ISBN 978-1741047004. Retrieved 9 July 2013.