River Robe (Ireland)
River Robe flows downstream at Keebagh, near its source in Mayo
|Native name||Abhainn an Róba|
|Main source||Bekan Parish, Mayo|
|River mouth||Lough Mask, Mayo|
|Basin size||320 square kilometres (120 sq mi)|
|Length||62.8 kilometres (39.0 mi)|
The River Robe (Irish: Abhainn an Róba) is a river in County Mayo, Ireland. It rises near Ballyhaunis, then flows generally west for 64 kilometres (40 mi), where it drains into Lough Mask.
The river's name in Irish is An Róba, first recorded as Rodba in medieval manuscripts.
The river is the longest tributary of Lough Mask and it drains 320 square kilometres of south Mayo. The total length of the river Robe's journey from its source near Ballyhaunis to Galway Bay (via Lough Mask, Cong canal and river, Lough Corrib and River Corrib) is 72 miles.
Course of the river
The Robe rises about three miles south-west of Ballyhaunis and follows a meandering path southwest through the townland of Keebagh and Brickens village. It turns gently to the west between Tootagh and Garryduff and continues west between Claremorris and Ballindine It meanders in serpentine coils beside the R331 road, passing Taugheen, from where it begins its southwesterly descent to Hollymount. From there, the river winds in broad loops before descending southwestwards into Ballinrobe (Irish: Baile an Róba, meaning "town of the Robe"). The Robe empties into Lough Mask, four kilometres west of Ballinrobe, near Cushlough (Irish: Cois Loch, meaning "beside the lake").
- The River Robe, poem by Lord Oranmore and Browne.
- On the Banks of the Robe River and More Claremorris Memories by Michael J. Reidy.
- Dáil written answer concerning flooding by the Robe
- Fishing in Mayo
- Rivers of Ireland
- List of rivers of County Mayo
- Investigation of the relationship between fish stocks, ecological quality ratings (Q-Values), environmental factors and degree of eutrophication, ch. 6, p. 99. Environmental Protection Agency, Ireland, 2007. Retrieved: 2010-08-06.
- Rivers of Ireland: A Flyfisher's Guide 5th ed., ch. 6, p. 195. Peter O'Reilly, 2002, ISBN 1-873674-53-8. Retrieved: 2010-08-06.
- Notes on River Basins, p. 65. Robert A. Williams. Retrieved: 2010-08-06.
- River Robe, Irish Fisheries. Retrieved: 2010-08-06
- Inspector's report on a licence application, p. 4. Environmental Protection Agency, Ireland, 2010. Retrieved: 2010-08-06.
- Explanatory Memoir to Accompany Sheets 86, 87, 88, and Eastern Part of 85 of the Maps of the Geological Survey of Ireland Memoirs of the Geological Survey (1871), p. 10. Retrieved: 2013-03-20.
- Course of the River Robe, Ordnance Survey, Ireland. Retrieved: 2010-08-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to River Robe.|