River Sow near Milford
|Country within the UK||England|
|Villages||Great Bridgeford, Milford, Tixall|
|- left||Brockton Brook, Meece Brook|
|- right||Doxey Brook, River Penk|
|- location||Broughton, Staffordshire|
|- location||Confluence with the Trent near Essex Bridge, Staffordshire|
|Length||38 km (24 mi) |
|Basin||601 km2 (232 sq mi)|
|- average||6.33 m3/s (224 cu ft/s) |
|Wikimedia Commons: River Sow, Staffordshire|
|Progression : Sow — Trent — Humber — North Sea|
The river rises to the south of Loggerheads, near to Broughton and flows south-east beside the small settlements of Fairoak, Bishop’s Offley and Walk Mill until it reaches Cop Mere. To the east of the Mere the river is joined by the Brockton Brook before it flows past Eccleshall and its castle where it is crossed by the A519. The Sow continues in a south-easterly direction, passing Chebsey, it is then joined by the Meece Brook before it reaches the mill at Worston and then Little and Great Bridgeford. The river then flows through the nature reserve of Doxey Marshes until it reaches Stafford, where it flows through Victoria park. Beyond the town at Baswich the Sow is joined by its largest tributary the River Penk, it then continues beneath the bridge between Milford and Tixall until it flows through the grounds of Shugborough Hall to meet the Trent near Essex Bridge.
Between 1816 and the 1920s, the section between Stafford and Baswich was navigable, and was known as the River Sow Navigation. There are plans to restore it, which are being spearheaded by a community interest company called Stafford Riverway Link.
- Jones, David J. (June 2006). "Stafford Riverway Link". Stafford Riverway Link.
- "Water Framework Directive Surface Water Classification Status and Objectives 2012 csv files". Environment-agency.gov.uk. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "28014-Sow at Milford". The National River Flow Archive. Centre for Ecology & Hydrology. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Get-a-map online". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Jones 2006
- Imagining Staffordshire - Life on the River Sow