River Valley High School, Singapore
|River Valley High School
Sekolah Tinggi River Valley
|6 Boon Lay Avenue
Boon Lay, Singapore
Special Assistance Plan (SAP)
(We shall uphold virtues and contribute to society. Through personal growth, we shall guide others in the quest for knowledge and wisdom)
|Principal||Mrs Teo Khin Hiang|
|Team name||Team RV|
|Mission||To nurture in students bicultural acumen and moral integrity; to empower students to be thinkers, leaders and achievers with a global perspective.
|Vision||A world-class institution that develops leaders of distinction for Singapore.
River Valley High School (RVHS) (simplified Chinese: 立化中学; traditional Chinese: 立化中學; pinyin: Lì Huà Zhōngxué; Wade–Giles: li4hua4 chung1hsüeh2) is an autonomous educational institution in Singapore offering the Integrated Programme in Singapore. Founded in 1956, it is one of the 11 Special Assistance Plan schools designated by the Ministry of Education in recognition of its heritage and excellence in education.
- 1 History
- 2 Principal
- 3 School identity & culture
- 4 Campus
- 5 Academic Information
- 6 Co-curricular activities (CCAs)
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 Gallery
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
River Valley Government Chinese Middle School
River Valley High School was founded as the Singapore Government Chinese Middle School. It was the first Chinese middle school set up by the government, occupying the premises of Seng Poh Primary School, it was later renamed Queenstown Government Chinese Middle School and subsequently River Valley Government Chinese Middle School when it was moved to Strathmore Avenue.
Designation of Special Assistance Plan
River Valley High School admitted its first batch of English stream pupils when it was selected as one of the nine Special Assistance Plan (SAP) schools in 1979. It shifted from River Valley to West Coast in December 1986. Due to the smaller school campus at the West Coast site, the school became a double-session school. It reverted to a single-session school in 1993 after adding new blocks to the West Coast site. It was among the first six schools in Singapore to assume the ascendance to autonomous status in 1994. For its achievements in its CCAs, it was also one of the first schools to receive all three available Sustained Achievement Awards when it was first offered by the Ministry of Education in 2001.
Introduction of Integrated Programme
In 2006 River Valley High School was officially designated a 6-Year Integrated Programme school. Under the programme, students follows a six-year Integrated Programme curriculum which allows students to sit for the GCE 'A' Level examinations at year 6 without taking the GCE 'O' Level examinations. The final batch of GCE 'O' Level students graduated from River Valley High School in 2007.
|Name of Principal||Native Name||Years Served|
|Mr Suen Y-Chern||孙一尘先生||1956-1960|
|Mr Lim Hui Eng||林惠瀛先生||1960-1962|
|Mr Wong Cheong Chie||王昌稚先生||1962-1964|
|Mr Wong Bing Chie||王炳绩先生||1964-1974|
|Mdm Leong Fan Chin||梁环清女士||1974-1993|
|Mr Tham Tuck Meng||谭德明先生||1993-2003|
|Ms Ek Soo Ben||易素雯女士||2003-2009|
|Mr Koh Yong Chiah||许永正先生||2009-2012|
|Mrs Teo Khin Hiang||李惠棣女士||2012–Present|
School identity & culture
River Valley is known for its inclusive culture, a common trait shared among Special Assistance Plan schools with a strong Chinese background.
River Valley High School retained its school song in mandarin Chinese. The song, with close links to the school motto, represents the heritage of the school and the aspirations of the founders' hopes in educating the next generation. Students are reminded to bring glory to the school through excellence in both academics and behaviour. The school song is written in literary Chinese, giving it a poetic touch. The lyrics are written in verses of four characters, a parallel to Chinese idioms, with the exception of the last two verses.
River Valley High School's crest is made of the school's initials "RV". The colour of red symbolises radiance, progress and vitality, the colour of blue symbolises steadfastness, graciousness and serenity, while white symbolises purity and receptiveness to innovation.
River Valley High's junior high school uniform is unique to River Valley High School, one of the most outstanding and identifiable uniform designs in Singapore. Male students wear a all white shirt with white shorts, while female students wear a white blouse with white skirt. Both the shirt and blouse bear the school initials, "RV", in red and blue at the front left chest level.
The senior high uniform is a plain white shirt or blouse complemented with blue skirt or white pants. A collar pin is worn on the left collar, which bear the school crest.
Song writing heritage
River Valley High is known for its popularity in composing and singing campus songs and Xinyao, a genre of songs originated in the 1980s that is unique to Singapore. River Valley High have its collection of songs written by its former and present students. This associates River Valley High with institutions that have strong cultural background and influence in Singapore's music scene, such as Hwa Chong Junior College and Jurong Junior College. River Valley High students are also seen taking an active role in the continuation of Singapore's song writing heritage.
River Valley High School's campus is the newest among all SAP and Integrated Programme institutions, officially declared open in 2010. Located off Boon Lay Avenue, the 7.64-hectare campus comprises facilities that supports the educational needs for the six-year Integrated Programme, and strongly encapsulate a strong cultured environment.
River Valley High Student Hostel
The River Valley High Student Hostel is located adjacent to the school campus, consisting of two 12-storey and one 15-storey building (Halls 1, 2 & 3). It provides accommodation for up to 500 boarders and 25 teacher mentors. The building features a dining hall and is supported with internet access.
River Valley High School Integrated Programme (RVIP)
From 2006, River Valley High School offers the 6-year Integrated Programme, allowing its students to take the GCE 'A' level examinations at the end their sixth year in the school. It also offers the Bicultural Studies Programme (Chinese), joining Dunman High School, Hwa Chong Institution and Nanyang Girls' High School. The programmed is aimed to nurture independent and passionate individuals who uphold strong moral character, effectively bilingual in English and Chinese language, and have a global perspective that allows them to face challenges in the changing world.
Construct, Integrate, Differentiate (CID) Programme
The Construct, Integrate, Differentiate (CID) Programme is an integrated curriculum under the RVIP that focuses on knowledge construction with differentiation features to cater to the diverse talents and interests of the students.
The CID Programme provides students with opportunities to construct their own learning by integrating knowledge from various disciplines, using modes of inquiry appropriate to the subject or project that they are working on. In the CID Programme, students spend their freed time constructively on inquiry-based and research-oriented project work. Teamwork is emphasised through collaborative and co-operative learning.
The programme is designed with the objectives of providing students with the opportunities to engage in individualised research in an area of strength. All students will complete coursework in Research Methods, an in depth learning of the quantitative and qualitative methods appropriate to individualised researches. With the completion of the Research Methods coursework, students can opt to undertake research in one of the following programmes: the Junior Scientists Programme (scientific research work), Innovators Programme (engineering and design), Mathematics Talent Programme and the Explorers Programme (humanities). Students can also seek attachments at the local or overseas institutes for the CID Extended Learning. Opportunities for further learning are also provided through overseas exchange programmes.
CHAMPS is an acronym for "Character Education; Health Education; Active Citizenry; Moral Philosophy; Physical Education; & Student Leadership Development". It is a unique and integrated Pupil Development Programme designed by RV. It focuses on the development of values and character. It seeks to develop life skills, and the social, national, cultural and moral consciousness of the students. ASK will be infused in the teaching and learning of PDP. Besides the core modules in CHAMPS, students would complete at least 1 PDP elective module each year.
Special Assistance Plan
River Valley High School, being a Special Assistance Plan school, has a very strong Chinese environment. Chinese language, culture and history are often emphasised in the School. It is compulsory for all Year 1 to 4 students to take up Higher Chinese as a subject, Chinese culture lessons are also mandatory in lower secondary and students can opt for Chinese Literature in upper secondary.
Bi-cultural Studies Programme (BSP)
River Valley is one of the few institutions in Singapore to offer the Bi-cultural Studies Programme. The 4-year programme, which is offered at Year 3 level, aims to nurture a bi-cultural orientation amongst a core group of students. River Valley High's BSP included camps, enrichment electives which acts as complements to the ministry's programme.
Co-curricular activities (CCAs)
- Dance Society
- Concert Band
- Chinese Orchestra
- String Ensemble
- English Literary, Drama and Debate Society (ELDDS)
- Chinese Literary, Drama and Debate Society (CLDDS)
- Street Dance
- Guitar Ensemble
Uniform groups (Year 1 - 4)
- National Cadet Corps (NCC)
- National Police Cadet Corps (NPCC)
- St John Ambulance Brigade (SJAB)
- Girl Guides
- Athletics (Cross Country and Track And Field)
- Shooting (Year 5 and 6)
- Soccer (Year 5 and 6)
- Table Tennis
- Ultimate Frisbee (Year 5 and 6)
- Wushu (Chinese Martial Arts)
Clubs and societies
- Infocomm & Robotics Club
Government and politics
- Ang Mong Seng: Former Member of Parliament
- Peh Chin Hua: Former Member of Parliament
- Goh Meng Seng: Founder and Secretary-General, People's Power Party; Former Secretary-General, National Solidarity Party
- Kym Ng: Television host and actress
- Marcus Chin: Television presenter, actor and comedian
- Wendy Cheng (Xiaxue): Prominent blogger
- Lim Yau: Music director, Singapore Symphony Chorus; Artistic director, The Philharmonic Orchestra and The Philharmonic Chamber Choir; Head, Orchestral Studies & Chamber Music, NAFA
- Tham Yew Chin: Prominent Writer; Cultural Medallion Recipient - Literary Arts
- Wong Kah Chun: Orchestra Conductor, Young Artist Award Recipient
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to River Valley High School.|
- "从师友经历 述说传统华校的转型与变迁". 联合早报网. 2017-07-11. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "River Valley High celebrates diamond jubilee". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "School History - River Valley High School". rivervalleyhigh.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- "River Valley Government Chinese High School at Jalan Kuala, between 1958 and 1967 - BookSG - National Library Board, Singapore". eresources.nlb.gov.sg. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- "RIVER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL TO OFFER THE". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2016-09-28.
- "Integrated Programmes (IP)". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2016-09-28.
- "River Valley High School 立化中学 (Formerly River Valley Government Chinese Middle School 立化政府华文中学)". sgschoolmemories.blogspot.sg. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- "从新加坡的校名、校训、校歌看海外华人的价值观". 简书. 简书. 2 February 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "SCHOOL RULES AND REGULATIONS" (PDF). River Valley High School, Singapore. 20 February 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "庆祝母校60周年 立化校友创作一首歌". 联合早报网. 2016-01-13. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "立化校友开讲 许环良激励学弟妹 勇于追求音乐梦想". 联合早报网. 2016-04-13. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "《新空下》新谣比赛2017". 《新空下》新谣比赛2017. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "A World-Class Educational Institution". rvhs2.swiiit.com. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "Facilities". rvhs2.swiiit.com. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "FAQs". rvhs2.swiiit.com. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- The RVIP Graduate
- RVIP Curriculum Framework
- The Construct, Integrate, Differentiate Programme
- "RIVER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL TO OFFER BICULTURAL STUDIES PROGRAMME (CHINESE)". www.nas.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "立化中学双文化营 郭践红吴剑峰谈戏剧与新谣". 联合早报网. 2017-06-28. Retrieved 2017-08-27.