Riverdale High School (Quebec)
|Riverdale High School|
|5060 Sources Blvd.
Pierrefonds, Quebec, H8Y 3E4
|School type||high school|
|School board||Lester B. Pearson School Board (formerly in the now defunct Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal)|
|Vice principal||Susan Hamblin-Brayne|
|Colour(s)||Green and Black|
Riverdale High School (RHS) is an English language secondary school located in the Pierrefonds-Roxboro borough of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It was founded in 1964 and is still in use. The school is part of the Lester B. Pearson School Board, where it is designated a "community school". It was previously a part of the Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal.
Riverdale has many athletic teams, including basketball, rugby, soccer, volleyball, track and field, and swim teams. The school also has a wide variety of community-based clubs and organizations.
The school RHS logo visible to the right and the school slogan "Reach Higher and Succeed" (RHS) were adopted during the 1988/1989 school year when they were chosen in a school-wide contest. Both were submitted by students at the time. The school's official colours used to be Blue (a dark navy blue) and Grey, with the school paper having the matching name "Blue & Grey", but they were changed to match the uniforms which were adopted in 1993, whose colours were also selected by the student body. Before this the school had no uniform, only a dress code which included "No jeans" and "No clothes with holes".
Due to a dwindling student populace, which itself was due to government restrictions on which school-aged children are allowed to attend English language schools in Quebec (Bill 101), Riverdale apportioned out half of its first floor to a French-language elementary school in 1988 to share costs, leaving the other two floors to the high school, along with the other half of the first floor, which included the cafeteria, shop classes and music department. Later in 2007 the school got back the full 1st floor. In 2011 the main hallway that was used for the junior grades was closed off for adult ed due to a low student population but, the cafeteria is still very much part of the school and so is the drama department,music department and shop classes which are situated on the first floor.
- Charlene Wong, figure skater
- Michael Calce, Denial-of-service attack hacker known as Mafiaboy
- Jack W. Szostak, cell biologist, recipient of Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2009
- Harley Morenstein, Host and creator of YouTube show Epic Meal Time and host of Epic Chef
- Alissa White-Gluz, Lead singer of Canadian Metal Band The Agonist
- Eric Prosh, Director of Minerals and Petroleum Resources, Nunavut
- Glen MacPherson, cinematographer
- "Schools" (Archive). Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal. January 17, 1998. Retrieved on November 24, 2014.
- "Riverdale Band Concert June 14". The North Shore News. 8 June 1972. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Riverdale High School Uniform Regulations
- "Chapter VIII The Language of Instruction". Charter of the French language, RSQ, c C-11. Éditeur officiel du Québec.
- "Charlene Wong moves up to international class". The North Shore News. 15 May 1980. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- MacIntosh, Jeane (21 April 2000). "Hack-teen probe ends in father's arrest, too". New York Post.
- "Riverdale High School Yearbook". 1968. p. 10.
- "The 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine - Press Release". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 4 February 2012.