Rivers of Nihil
Rivers of Nihil
|Genres||Technical death metal, progressive metal|
|Associated acts||Black Crown Initiate|
Rivers of Nihil is an American technical death metal band from Reading, Pennsylvania. They are currently signed to Metal Blade Records. To date the band has released two EPs and three studio albums. Their most recent release is 2018's Where Owls Know My Name, which debuted at number 61 on the Billboard 200, selling 2,750 copies in its first week.
Rivers of Nihil was formed in 2009. They recorded their first EP Hierarchy later that year with Century vocalist Carson Slovak, who produced numerous works by other bands such as August Burns Red, Texas in July, and Black Crown Initiate (Slovak would later work with the bands on their second and third studio albums, adding writing credits to "Terrestria III: Wither" on Where Owls Know My Name). During this period the band opened shows for bands such as Decapitated, Decrepit Birth, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, and Misery Index.
On December 10, 2012, Metal Blade Records announced that they'd signed Rivers of Nihil to a record deal, and released a demo for the song "Rain Eater". The label also announced that the band would be working with Erik Rutan of Hate Eternal and Morbid Angel to record their first studio album at Mana Recording Studios in Tampa, Florida. The band released the album in the United States on October 15, 2013. Album artwork was created by Dan Seagrave, who would handle the artwork on the band's next two albums as well.
Rivers of Nihil returned to Atrium studios to work again with Slovak on their second full-length studio album, Monarchy, which was released on August 21, 2015. The album sold 1,175 copies in its first week. On August 17, 2015, the band made Monarchy available for streaming in full.
On September 7, 2017, the band announced via their Facebook account that they'd returned to the studio, once again working at Atrium Audio, and working again with audio engineers Carson Slovak and Grant McFarland. The band recruited The Kennedy Veil's live drummer Jared Klein to track drums. On March 16, 2018, the band released Where Owls Know My Name as well as a music video for the song "A Home". Metal Injection gave the album a perfect 10/10 score.
|Rivers of Nihil discography|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2013||The Conscious Seed of Light
|2018||Where Owls Know My Name
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart|
- "Rivers of Nihil "Where Owls Know My Name"".
- Blade, Metal. "Metal-Temple.com :: RIVERS OF NIHIL: Charts with "Where Owls Know My Name." (News)". www.metal-temple.com.
- "Metal By Numbers 3/28: Stone Temple Pilots soar to the top 10; Nihil annihilatesMetal Insider". March 28, 2018.
- "Carson Slovak". Discogs.
- "RIVERS OF NIHIL Signs With METAL BLADE RECORDS". December 10, 2012.
- "Metal Blade Records Signs Rivers Of Nihil".
- "Rivers of Nihil- (sin)Chronos Official Video".
- "RIVERS OF NIHIL ARE THE BEST NEW DEATH METAL BAND YOU'LL HEAR THIS YEAR - MetalSucks". February 16, 2012.
- "Rivers of Nihil Sign with Metal Blade - MetalSucks". December 10, 2012.
- "RIVERS OF NIHIL: 'A Fertile Altar' Lyric Video Released". November 22, 2013.
- "RIVERS OF NIHIL To Release 'Monarchy' In August". June 13, 2015.
- "Metal By Numbers 9/3: A disturbing amount of debutsMetal Insider". September 3, 2015.
- "Streamers of Nihil: Stream the New Rivers of Nihil Album Monarchy in Full - MetalSucks". August 17, 2015.
- "Rivers of Nihil are in the Studio - MetalSucks". September 7, 2017.
- "RIVERS OF NIHIL Is In The Studio Working On A New Album". September 8, 2017.
- "Watch Rivers of Nihil's New Video for "A Home" - MetalSucks". March 16, 2018.
- "Album Review: RIVERS OF NIHIL Where Owls Know My Name". March 15, 2018.