Riversdale railway station
Northbound view from Platform 1 in March 2003
|Location||Wandin Road, Camberwell|
|Operated by||Metro Trains|
|Distance||11.73 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||30 May 1890|
Riversdale railway station is located on the Alamein line in Victoria, Australia, and serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Camberwell. It was provisionally called Prospect Hill station, but has been Riversdale since it opened on 30 May 1890, along with the first section of the Outer Circle railway. The name derives from the adjacent Riversdale Road.
Some trains terminate at Riversdale after morning and evening peaks and return to Camberwell for stabling.
Though it was closed for a year in 1897 and 1898 when the Outer Circle line closed, it reopened soon after, due to a public outcry. The station also features unusual manually-operated boom gates, with arms that are divided into two sections, so as not to make contact with overhead tram wires.
Platforms & services
- Flinders Street; all stations services to Camberwell weekday all stations and limited stop services to
- Alamein; terminating services all stations services to
Yarra Trams operates one route via Riversdale station on Riversdale Road:
CDC Melbourne operates one route via Riversdale station on Prospect Hill Road:
- Riversdale Vicsig
- David Beardsell & Bruce Herbert (1979). The Outer Circle: A history of the Oakleigh to Fairfield Park Railway. Australian Railway Historical Society. p. 68. ISBN 0-85849-024-2.
- "Alamein Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "70 Waterfront City Docklands - Wattle Park". Public Transport Victoria.
- "612 Box Hill - Chadstone via Surrey Hills & Camberwell & Glen Iris". Public Transport Victoria.
- Media related to Riversdale railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|East Camberwell||Outer Circle line||Burwood|
|List of closed railway stations in Melbourne|