Riverside High School (New Jersey)
|Riverside High School|
|112 East Washington Street
Riverside, NJ 08075
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Riverside School District|
|Asst. principals||Buddy Micucci (Athletic Director)
Ryan Varga (Activities)
|Enrollment||436 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.5:1|
|Athletics conference||Burlington County Scholastic League|
|Mascot||Rocky the Ram|
Riverside High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Riverside Township in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Riverside School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 436 students and 37.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.5:1. There were 161 students (36.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 44 (10.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 295th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 301st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 281st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 298th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was the 266th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 316 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2006 cover story on the state's Top Public High Schools.
The Riverside High School Rams compete in the Burlington County Scholastic League (BCSL), which consists of nineteen public and non-public high schools covering Burlington County, Mercer County and Ocean County in Central Jersey, operating under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 329 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 78 to 478 students in that grade range. The school mascot is Rocky the Ram and the colors are maroon and white.
Up until 1976, students from Delran Township - which partly encircles Riverside - had attended the school. Because of its large high school student population at that time, the school competed in Group III sports programs and was highly competitive with other large schools. Outside of its annual Thanksgiving Day game against Florence Township Memorial High School, the Rams also had ongoing rivalries with nearby Holy Cross High School, Cinnaminson High School and Rancocas Valley Regional High School in Mount Holly. Since Delran Township established its own high school and the high school grade population dropped at Riverside, the school mostly competes in Group I and some of those rivalries have ended.
The boys' soccer team won the Group I state championship in 1961 (vs. Blairstown High School), 1976 (as co-champions with Harrison High School), 1979 (as co-champion with Chatham Borough High School), 1980 (defeating North Warren Regional High School in the final game of the tournament), 1982 (vs. Midland Park High School) and 1985 (vs. Chatham Borough); the girls' soccer team defeated Butler High School to win the 2005 Group I state championship.
The Marching Rams
|2003||COLOR MY WORLD||1st Place||Class 1||Eastern Marching Band Association|
|2004||DISCO FEVER||3rd Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2005||LATIN EXPLOSION!||2nd Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2006||SIMON SAYS...||11th Place||Independence Open||Cavalcade of Bands|
|2007||THE BEST OF QUEEN||8th Place||Independence A||Cavalcade of Bands|
|2008||The Beatles||5th Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2009||The Jackson 5||6th Place||Independence A||Cavalcade of Bands|
|2010||Carmen in Seville||3rd Place||Independence A||Cavalcade of Bands|
|2011||FLIGHT||6th Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2012||SIMON SAID…||12th Place||Independence Open||Cavalcade of Bands|
|2013||I Believe!||2nd Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2014||United We Stand!||3rd Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2015||Chuck Mangione||5th Place||Group 1A||USBands|
|2016||Afterburner!||6th Place||Independence Open||Cavalcade of Bands|
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Todd Pae - Principal
- Buddy Micucci - Assistant Principal / Athletic Director
- Ryan Varga - Assistant Principal / Director of Student Activities
- Jim Bailey (1938-2015), singer, film, television and stage actor, and female impersonator.
- Kenneth William Faulkner (born 1947, class of 1966), former teacher, school administrator and basketball coach at Burlington Township High School.
- School data for Riverside High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Riverside High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2015.
- High School Sending Districts, Burlington County Library System, backed up by the Internet Archive as of September 27, 2006. Accessed October 5, 2014.
- Coppock, Kristen. "Delanco schools look to eliminate staff", Burlington County Times, March 24, 2010. Accessed February 13, 2011. "Students in grades nine to 12 attend Riverside High School under a sending agreement."
- Riverside Township School District 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 30, 2017. "The School District educates approximately 1,400 students. The district has a very positive and cooperative send/receive relationship with the Delanco Public Schools. Students from Delanco are educated in their local K-8 District, and then subsequently attend grades 9-12 at Riverside High School."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 29, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 13, 2011.
- Top High Schools 201-316, New Jersey Monthly, September 2006, posted January 28, 2008. Accessed August 11, 2008.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- NJSIAA Group Basketball Past Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 15, 2015.
- History of NJSIAA Girls Soccer, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 22, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2015.
- Administration, Riverside High School. Accessed September 27, 2015.
- Lloyd, Jack. "Barbra, Liza Sing Praises Of Jim Bailey He Specializes In Streisand And Garland, But Don't Call Him A Female Impersonator. He Prefers 'Character Actor.'", The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 27, 1995. Accessed November 26, 2013. "The entertainer, a native of West Philadelphia and graduate of Riverside High School in Burlington County, has played many of the world's great concert venues, including London's Palladium, New York's Carnegie Hall and Los Angeles' Dorothy Chandler Pavilion."
- Carchidi, Sam. "Burlington Twp. Coach Resigns New Duties As A Principal Sparked Ken Faulkner's Move. His Teams Won 521 Games In 24 Years.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 25, 1996. Accessed August 15, 2016. "A former star guard at Riverside High (Class of '66) and Campbell (N.C.) College, Faulkner knew that he was going to retire before this season started."
- Riverside High School
- Riverside School District
- Riverside School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Riverside School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Riverside HS