The community is mostly located in unincorporated areas, primarily in the extraterritorial jurisdictions of the cities of Sugar Land and Missouri City. A portion is in Missouri City itself. Much of the early development (some 500 homes) was in the Missouri City ETJ portion, but about 60% of the total land area and most of the future homes will be in Sugar Land ETJ.
Riverstone falls into ZIP codes 77459 and 77479, respectively served by the Missouri City and Sugar Land post offices. Some of the Missouri City properties fall into the latter ZIP code, thus having Sugar Land mailing addresses.
Riverstone stretches from State Highway 6 on the northeast to the Brazos River on the southwest. It is bounded on the north by Sugar Land's Bridgewater, Maranatha Farms and Lakes of Austin Park subdivisions, and by Missouri City's Heritage Colony subdivision. To the east are Missouri City's Colony Lakes and Sienna Village subdivisions, and Sugar Land's Pecan Manor is adjacent to part of the south boundary. Parks are planned on much of the remaining south boundary (beyond the levees protecting against high water along the Brazos River).
441 houses were sold in Riverstone in 2016. Circa 2017 John Burns Real Estate Consulting, a company headquartered in Irvine, California, ranked Riverstone as No. 20 on its list of highest-selling Greater Houston subdivisions, and Robert Charles Lesser & Co. (RCLCO) ranked Riverstone as No. 18 on its top-selling list. John Burns ranked Riverstone amongits top 25 in 2018.
Anne McCormick Sullivan Elementary School, which opened in August 2016, is located in Riverstone. Its namesake, a firefighter, died in the Southwest Inn fire in 2013. Other sections are zoned to Austin Parkway (unincorporated area), Commonwealth (Sugar Land), and Settlers Way (Sugar Land) elementary schools. Previously Schiff Elementary School in Sienna Plantation served the Stonebrook subdivision.
First Colony Middle School and Fort Settlement Middle School in Sugar Land serve sections of Riverstone. Previously Baines Middle School in Sienna Plantation served the Stonebrook subdivision.
In 2014 FBISD proposed rezoning portions of the community to First Colony Middle School from Fort Settlement Middle School, prompting some area parents to protest the plan.
- "fort_bend_large.jpg." Riverstone. Retrieved on September 20, 2011.
- "Map" (PDF). Riverstone. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- http://ims.ci.mocity.tx.us/smpdf/etj11X17.pdf Missouri City ETJ map
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-09. Retrieved 2198-06-25. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help) Sugar Land ETJ map
- http://www.usnaviguide.com/zip.htm ZIP code Maps
- "Riverstone ranked among nation's top again". Sugar Land Sun at the Houston Chronicle. 2017-01-25. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- Feser, Katherine (2018-01-05). "10 Houston master-planned communities make top-seller list". Sugar Land Sun at the Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/cmf/var/tidbits/Tidbits_parentlinks_20090820_1544.pdf[permanent dead link] FBISD School Zone Map
- "Elementary schools". Riverstone. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
Anne Sullivan Elementary School 17828 Winding Waters Lane Sugar Land, Texas 77479
- "Anne McCormick Sullivan." Anne McCormick Sullivan Elementary School. Retrieved on April 7, 2018.
- "Schools". Riverstone. 2011-10-05. Archived from the original on 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "Middle schools". Riverstone. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "Middle Schools". Riverstone. 2009-02-06. Archived from the original on 2009-02-06. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "High school". Riverstone. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "Schools". Riverstone. 2008-05-15. Archived from the original on 2008-05-15. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- Barguiarena, Karla (2014-10-27). "Community fighting Fort Bend ISD's school rezoning plan". KTRK-TV. Retrieved 2018-04-13.