From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The former town hall in Rivesaltes
|Canton||La Vallée de l'Agly|
|• Mayor (2001–2008)||André Bascou (UMP)|
|Area1||28.76 km2 (11.10 sq mi)|
|• Density||300/km2 (790/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||66164 /66600|
|Elevation||11–70 m (36–230 ft)
(avg. 29 m or 95 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Politics and administration
Rivesaltes is twinned with:
- - Calgary, Canada
- - Chennai, India
- - Rangoon, Myanmar
- - Yaren, Nauru
- - Ramallah, Palestine
- - Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- - Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
- - Clitheroe, United Kingdom
- - Whalley, United Kingdom
- - Wilpshire, United Kingdom
Sites of interest
The Rivesaltes memorial museum
- The Camp de Rivesaltes is situated on the outskirts of the city. The Rivesaltes memorial museum is under construction to commemorate the history of this major French concentration camp from 1939 to 2007.
- Joseph Joffre (1852–1931), general, born in Rivesaltes, who became prominent in the battles of World War I.
- Michel Parès (1887-1966), politician born in Rivesaltes.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rivesaltes.|
|This Pyrénées-Orientales geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Catalonia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|