|• Mayor||Jean Vanderbecken (NAP-MR)|
|• Governing party/ies||NAP-MR|
|• Total||17.54 km2 (6.77 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
Rixensart is a Walloon municipality located in the Belgian province of Walloon Brabant. On January 1, 2006, Rixensart had a total population of 21,355. The total area is 17.54 km² which gives a population density of 1,217 inhabitants per km².
The municipality consists of the following former municipalities, now sub-municipalities: Rixensart proper, Rosières (Rozieren), and Genval. Genval-les-Bains is a local beauty spot, a 100-year-old lake with a fountain, and framed by trees, houses and restaurants. Rixensart is home to the beautiful private-owned Château de Rixensart.
Rixensart is served by two railway stations (at Rixensart and at Genval), connecting it with Brussels to the north and Louvain-la-Neuve to the south. The new arrival of the Brussels RER, will improve both train stations and upgrade the number of trains going from Brussels to Namur to 4 per hour. This will also bring more people to the municipality to live. The municipality is now classified as a commuter town due to its proximity to Brussels, the RER and the E411 Motorway.
- Lake Genval
- Bourgeois is a village located above the valley of the Lasne. It has a church and several small schools.
- Maubroux is a village has a number of small shops, a church and is located near Genval railway station.
- Le Patch
- Froidmont is an old farmhouse, which was until 2010 was a Dominican convent and was garrisoned during the Battle of Waterloo
- Le Glain is a village with a grammar school and a library.
- Genval is a village
Rixensart is home to Royale Union Rixensartoise football club. The club is on the rise, especially the youth teams. Swimming Club Rixensart is a swimming club.
Rixensart is twinned with:
- Media related to Rixensart at Wikimedia Commons
||La Hulpe||Overijse (VBR)|
|This Walloon Brabant location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|