Rizokarpaso Primary School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rizokarpaso Primary School is a Greek-Cypriot primary school in Rizokarpaso, in Northern Cyprus. For a number of years it was the only Greek language school in Northern Cyprus. It has regularly appeared in Greek language media because it was reported that primary school teachers had been prevented from teaching there by the government of Northern Cyprus.
Eleni Foka was prevented from returning to her village and the primary school, and therefore applied to the European Court of Human Rights for justice.
Alexia Koukotsikas and her husband Grigoris Koukotsikas were primary school teachers who taught at Rizokarpaso Primary School in Northern Cyprus who were prevented, together with their children, from returning to their village and primary school by the government of Northern Cyprus. The plight of the Koukotsikas family was raised by MEP Dimitris Tsatsos at the European Parliament and in the Parliament of Cyprus by the President of the House of Representatives (Mr Demetris Christofias). The Cypriot Financial Mirror newspaper has recorded that as recently as September 2008, the government of Northern Cyprus has prevented schoolteachers from returning to the primary school in Rizokarpaso.
- Press release issued by the Registrar, Chamber judgments concerning Lithuania, Romania and Turkey, Foka v. Turkey (no. 28940/95), European Court of Human Rights, 24 June 2008.
- One-minute speeches on matters of political importance, MEP Tsatsos, European Parliament, Strasbourg, 1 September 2003.
- Προς εκδίωξη Ελληνοκυπρίων από την Καρπασία Rizospastis newspaper, 2 September 2003. (Greek language)
- Εκπομπή για ομογένεια, Cyprus News Agency: News in Greek, 3 September 2002.
- Το πρώτο κουδούνι στο κατεχόμενο Γυμνάσιο Ριζοκαρπάσου κτύπησε στις 10 το πρωί (English translation: "The first bell of the occupied Gymnasium of Rizokarpaso rang at 10 in the morning") Typos.com.cy, 13 September 2004. (Greek language)
- Χτήπησε το κουδούνι στο Γυμνάσιο Ριζοκαρπάσου υστερα από 29 χρόνια (English translation: "The bell rang at the Gymnasium of Rizokarpaso for the first time in 29 years", Ριζοκάρπασον, Association of Rizokarpaso in Britain, 14 September 2004. (Greek language)
- UNFICYP working to solve enclaved school crisis, Cyprus Mail, 2 September 2003.
- Τα Παιδιά του Ριζοκαρπάσου (with photographs of the teachers, Mr & Mrs Koukotsika, at an event organised to honor them), Ριζοκάρπασον, Association of Rizokarpaso in Britain, 19 December 2002. (Greek language)
- Κατεχόμενα: Αυτοψία στον τόπο του εγκλήματος, by Makarios Drousiotis makarios.eu for the Politis newspaper (politis-news.com), 2 June 2000. (Greek language)
- House President condemns Turkey occupation regime Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus in Washington D.C., 3 September 2003.
- School year begins in Cyprus primary education, Financial Mirror, 4 September 2008.