|Born||Syeda Rizwana Hasan
15 January 1968
Habiganj, East Pakistan (now Bangladesh)
|Alma mater||Dhaka University|
|Years active||1993 – present|
|Known for||Contributions in shipbreaking industry|
|Home town||Habiganj, Bangladesh|
Syeda Rizwana Hasan (born 15 January 1968) is a Bangladeshi attorney and environmentalist. She has particularly focused on regulations for the shipbreaking industry in Bangladesh, and was awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize in 2009. She was also awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 2012 for her "uncompromising courage and impassioned leadership in a campaign of judicial activism in Bangladesh that affirms the people’s right to a good environment as nothing less than their right to dignity and life."
She attended Viqarunnisa Noon School for her secondary education and Holy Cross College for her higher secondary education, before attending Dhaka University for her bachelor and masters degree in law.
Hasan got involved in the shipbreaking industry, first suing the breaking yards in Chittagong in 2003 for, among other reasons, bringing health hazards to the workers, poor working conditions, and improper waste disposal. In response, in March 2003 the court declared shipbreaking without an environmental clearance from the appropriate department illegal. Hasan continues to strive for more labour rights and a safer working environment in the industry. She has also successfully sued organizations involved in filling lakes to build real estate, the improper use of polythene, hill cutting, deforestation, shrimp farming, and building illegal establishments on St. Martin's Island.
- The Inaugural Environment Award in 2007, by the Ministry of Forestry and Environment, Government of Bangladesh, for raising environmental awareness.
- Celebrating Womenhood Award in 2008 by the Nepal-based Creative Statements and South Asia Partnership
- The Goldman Environmental Prize in 2009.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award in 2012
- "Syeda Rizwana Hasan". Goldman Environmental Prize. Retrieved 1 May 2009.
- Sarmiento, Christine Joy (26 July 2012). "2012 Ramon Magsaysay Award winners announced". Asian Journal. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
Syeda Rizwana Hasan, from Bangladesh, is being recognized for 'her uncompromising courage and impassioned leadership in a campaign of judicial activism in Bangladesh that affirms the people’s right to a good environment as nothing less than their right to dignity and life.'
- "Belar Shonge Rizwana". Dainik Kaler Kontho. 21 October 2010.
- "Time names Rizwana as environment hero". The Daily Star. 4 October 2009. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Choudhury, Shahidul (18 February 2010). "Syeda Rizwana Hasan, defender of environment". The New Age. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- Iqbal Choudhury (2009). Chhutir Dine (in Bengali) (509 ed.). Prothom Alo. p. 5.
- "Syeda Rizwana Hasan". Time Magazine. 22 September 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2009.