Roach's mouse-tailed dormouse
|Roach's mouse-tailed dormouse|
|Roach's mouse-tailed dormouse's range|
The Roach's mouse-tailed dormouse or ground dormouse, also known simply as the mouse-tailed dormouse, (Myomimus roachi) is a species of rodent in the family Gliridae. It is found in Bulgaria, Turkey and possibly extreme eastern Greece.
Historically found in Turkey and south-eastern Bulgaria. As oak and walnut trees were removed for agriculture and forestry its distribution became restricted to a few small spinneys in Edirne, north-west Turkey. In 2017 the species was confirmed to be still living in Bulgaria.
Roach's mouse-tailed dormouse lives in scrub and semi-open habitats with trees or bushes such as orchards, vineyards, hedgerows in arable land and river banks. Old trees are essential element in their habitat because it uses hollows of old trees to sleep during the day or rest for a little time at night.
The mouse-tailed dormouse is nocturnal which means that they are active at night. It is active from 1–2 hours before sunset till 1–2 hours after sunrise. The mouse-tailed dormouse is not strictly arboreal, it uses both trees and ground for moving and feeding. It also uses open areas such as grasslands, cereal fields and even recently plowed agricultural land for moving and searching for food(such as insects and seeds.), which makes it easier food for predators. The same animal uses few different trees with hollows for resting, and one tree can be used for one or more consecutive days. The same tree hollows are used by different individuals at different time.
- Bulgarian мишевиден сънливец /misheviden sǎnlivets/ (lit. "mouse-like sleeper"), български мишевиден сънливец /bǎlgarski misheviden sǎnlivets/ (lit. "Bulgarian mouse-like sleeper"), български сънливец /bǎlgarski sǎnlivets/ (lit. "Bulgarian sleeper")
- Greek μυωξός του Roach (lit. "Roach's dormouse")
- Turkish yer yediuyuru (lit. "ground seven-sleepers"), farebenzeri yediuyur (lit. "mouse-like seven-sleepers"), faremsi uyur (lit. "mouse-like sleeper"), sıçankuyruklu fındıkfaresi (lit. "mouse-tailed hazel-mouse"), boz kakırca (lit. "gray dormouse")
- Kryštufek, B. (2008). "Myomimus roachi". The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2008: e.T14087A4389146. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2008.RLTS.T14087A4389146.en. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Diker, Halim Yalçın (December 2013). "Remote Revelations". BBC Wildlife: 62–7.
- Miteva, Svetlana. "Bijzondere slaapmuizenvangst in Bulgarije met behulp van Nederlandse muizenvallen". Nature Today. Nature Today. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Aulagnier S.; P. Haffner, A. J. Mitchell-Jones, F. Moutou & J. Zima (2009) Mammals of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, A&C Black, London.
- Yaban Hayat Researches, Halim and Ebru Diker