Road to Indy
The Mazda Road to Indy is a group of developmental racing series launched in 2010 managed by Indy Racing League LLC with the goal being a career in the Verizon IndyCar Series. As part of the program, all series participate in the three disciplines of the IndyCar Series: oval races, permanent road courses, and street circuits. In addition, all series participate in Indy 500 weekend, with the IndyCars and Indy Lights racing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the lower series racing at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis on the "Night Before the 500". More importantly to drivers and teams, series champions will receive assistance to ascend to the next rung of the ladder. On December 9, 2010 it was announced that Mazda would become the title sponsor of the program and provide scholarships for series champions to advance to the next rung of the ladder.
Participating series (in order from lowest to highest "rung"):
- Rotax Max Challenge
- U.S. F2000 National Championship
- Pro Mazda Championship (known as "Star Mazda" until the end of the 2012 season)
- Indy Lights
- Verizon IndyCar Series
- "Mazda Road to Indy". Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Indy Racing League launches "Road to Indy" development system, Racer, December 10, 2009, Retrieved 2010-04-05
- Mazda to sponsor Road to Indy program, IndyCar, December 9, 2010, Retrieved 2010-12-09