List of highways in Iraq
Iraq has a network of highways connecting it from the inside among the Iraq provinces and to the outside neighbouring countries: Iran, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. When Saddam visited the United States in the 1980s, he was impressed by the size and infrastructure of the highway system. He ordered his engineers to build highways in the American form - wide lanes, shoulders and clover leafs.
- Highway 1: Baghdad, Taji, Samarra, Tikrit, Mosul, Syria (Kameshli).
- Highway 2: Baghdad, Baqubah, Al Khalis, Kirkuk, Irbil, Mosul, Dohuk, Zakhu, Turkey (Silopi).
- Highway 3: Baghdad to Baqubah + Irbil to Iran (Piranshahr).
- Highway 4: Kirkuk, Sulaymaniyah, Darbinadikhan, Jalaulah, As Sa'Diyah.
- Highway 5: Baqubah, Muqdadiyah, As Sa'Diyah, Khanaqin, Iran (Qasr-e Shirin).
- Highway 6: Baghdad, Al Kut, Al Amarah, Basrah.
- Highway 7: Al Kut, Ash Shatrah, Nasiriyah.
- Highway 8: Baghdad, Al Hillah, Al-Qādisiyyah, As Samawah, Nasiriyah, Basrah, Kuwait.
- Highway 9: Karbala, Al Najaf, Al-Qādisiyyah.
- Highway 10: Al Rutbah, Jordan.
- Highway 11: Baghdad, Al Fallujah, Al Ramadi, Al Rutbah, Syria.
- Highway 12: Al Ramadi, Hīt, Haditha, Al-Karābilah, Syria (Abu Kamal).
- Road 13: Khanaqin, Mandak, Badra, Jalat, Shaykh Faris
- Road 14: Ali Al-Gharbi, Jalat
- Road 15: Badra, Iran (Mehran)
- Road 16: Nasiriyah, Amarah
- Road 17: Diwaniyah, Qalat Sukkar, Amarah
- Road 18: Arbil, Suleymaniyah
- Road 19: Haqlaniyah, Bayji, Kirkuk
- Road 20: Safra, Rutba
- Road 21: Toliaha, Nukhayb
- Road 22: Karbala, Nukhayb
- Road 23: Faluja, Samarra
- Road 24: Takrit, Kirkuk
- Road 26: Basra, Umm Qasr
- Road 27: Hilla, Numaniya, Sarhad
- Road 28: Abu Suhayr, Samawa
- Road 29: Samawa, As Salman, Basra
- Road 30: H-3 Air Base, Jordan
- Road 31: Basra, North Rumaila
- Road 46: Arbat, Iran
- Road 47: Mosul, Syria
- Road 55: Takrit, Tuz Khurmato
- Road 70: Hilla, Najaf, Abu Suhair
- Road 71: Abu Suhayr, Diwaniyah
- Road 80: Kirkuk, Mosul
- Road 82: Baquba, Mandak
- Road 84: Karbala, Hilla
- Road 96: Numbered as Freeway 1: Jordan Junction, Jodran
- Road 97: Baghdad, Abu Ghurayb
Statistics on roads in Iraq
total: 45,550 km
paved: 38,400 km,
unpaved: 7,150 km (1996 est.)