|Place of origin||China, Europe, Middle East|
|Cookbook: Roast goose Media: Roast goose|
|Literal meaning||roast goose|
In southern China, roast goose is a variety of siu mei, or roasted meat dishes, within Cantonese cuisine. It is made by roasting geese with seasoning in a charcoal furnace at high temperature. Roasted geese of high quality have crisp skin with juicy and tender meat. Slices of roasted goose are generally served with plum sauce.
Roast goose, as served in Hong Kong,  is no different from its counterpart in the neighboring Guangdong Province of southern China, but, due to its cost, some Hong Kong restaurants offer roast duck instead.
Goose has a distinct flavor which makes it a favorite European Christmas dish. In Germany, roasted goose is a staple for Christmas Day meals. For European cultures, roasted goose is traditionally only eaten on appointed holidays, including St. Martin's Day.
The most prevalent stuffing are apples, sweet chestnuts, prunes and onions. Typical seasonings include salt and pepper, mugwort, or marjoram. Also used are red cabbage, Klöße, and gravy, which are used to garnish the goose. Another version of roast goose is the Alsatian-style with Bratwurst-stuffing and sauerkraut as garnish.
Among the most famous food products special to Kars region of Turkey are Kars honey, Kars Kasseri, Kars Gruyère cheese, which tastes like Swiss Emmental cheese, and Kars style roasted goose.
- "Eating in Hong Kong". wordpress.com. 11 March 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Where the Wild Things Are". foreignexposures.com. 11 December 2009. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Roast goose makes Christmas dinner special Retrieved 5 June 2013
- Scandinavian Roast Christmas Goose from Epicurious, published on February 1964 issue Retrieved 5 June 2013
- in Germany at BBC language portal Retrieved 5 June 2013
- Roast Christmas Goose from the New York Times, originally published in December 18, 1994 Retrieved 5 June 2013
- "Calendar of the traditions, festivals, and holidays in German-speaking countries". Oxford Language Dictionaries Online. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- Nigel Slater’s Christmas recipe for goose Retrieved 5 June 2013
- Goose fat potatoes recipe as one of the Christmas food and drink compiled by The Telegraph UK Retrieved 5 June 2013
- A Christmas Goose chase Retrieved 4 June 2013
- Yaşin, Mehmet (2007-01-21). "Kars'ta kaz kebabı ziyafeti". Hürriyet Yazarlar (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Taşdemir, Yüksel Turan. "Kars Kazı, Kars Kars kaşarı , Kars Grevyeri, Kars Balı ve Bu Yöreye Özel Besinler" (in Turkish). Tavsiye Ediyorum. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Kars usulu Kaz / Kars style roasted goose". Turkish cuisine. Retrieved 2013-04-07.