Rob Burch (footballer)
|Full name||Robert Keith Burch|
|Date of birth||8 October 1983|
|Place of birth||Yeovil, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2003||→ Woking (loan)||6||(0)|
|2004||→ Stevenage Borough (loan)||2||(0)|
|2004–2005||→ West Ham United (loan)||0||(0)|
|2005||→ Stevenage Borough (loan)||1||(0)|
|2005||→ Bristol City (loan)||0||(0)|
|2007||→ Barnet (loan)||6||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Burch turned professional with Tottenham Hotspur in July 2002 and spent a further five years at the club after signing professional forms.
On 10 December 2004 he joined West Ham United on a month's loan to act as cover for Stephen Bywater whilst James Walker recovered from a groin operation; he was given the squad number 41. With Walker returning to fitness, Burch returned to Spurs at the end of the month's loan. In his time at Upton Park he was an unused substitute on six occasions. Indeed, injuries restricted Burch to just seven reserve team appearances in 2004–05.
On 31 August 2005 he joined Bristol City on an initial one-month loan deal, being given the squad number 23. In his time at Ashton Gate, Burch acted as understudy to Steve Phillips whilst the club underwent a change of management with Gary Johnson succeeding Brian Tinnion. Johnson extended Burch's loan period for a second month to enable him to take a closer look at the keeper. However, Burch sustained a knee injury which saw the arrival of Adriano Basso at the club and his return to Tottenham Hotspur.
Burch was released from his contract by Tottenham on 19 May 2007 and signed for Sheffield Wednesday on 2 July. He made his Wednesday debut on 28 August in a 2–1 League Cup second round victory over Hartlepool United. He was released by the club at the end of the season after playing just three competitive matches. Burch agreed to sign for Lincoln City on 30 June 2008.
Burch rejected a new contract with Lincoln in May 2010 and on 8 June he signed a two-year deal for League One club Notts County on a free transfer, after his contract with Lincoln City expired.
In May 2012 he was released by the club, along with 12 other players.
Burch is a former England Under-20 keeper.
Robert Burch grew up in West Camel with his parents Keith and Barbara, as well as his older sister Fran. He attended Countess Gytha Primary School in Queen Camel. After primary school Rob attended Ansford Community School in Ansford, which is now known as Ansford Academy. Burch proposed to his girlfriend on the This Morning television programme on 14 February 2008. She is a producer on the show, and he surprised her backstage with a little help from Fern Britton The couple were married in 2009.
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/06/2010 and 30/06/2010" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- "Burch signs on loan". West Ham United F.C. 10 December 2004. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "Squad to face Canaries". West Ham United F.C. 7 January 2005. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "Burch joins on loan". Bristol City F.C. 31 August 2005. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "Burch's loan deal extended". Bristol City F.C. 29 September 2005. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "Basso earns extended stay". Bristol City F.C. 6 October 2005. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "Basso set for bench place". Bristol City F.C. 21 October 2005. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- tottenhamhotspur.com – Player Update
- www.redimps.premiumtv.co.uk – Jacko Hails 'Major Signing'
- "Chris Sutton looks for new keeper to replace Rob Burch". BBC Sport. 17 May 2010. Retrieved 8 June 2010.
- "Notts sign Lincoln keeper Burch". BBC Sport. 8 June 2010.
- "Curle Confirms Retained List". Notts county FC. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- , Double helping of fun for villagers.
- , Ansford Academy official site.
- "Rob Pops The Question Live on TV!". Sheffield Wednesday F.C. 14 February 2008. Retrieved 16 February 2008.