Rob Cover (born 31 May 1972, Canberra, Australia) is a social theorist and media scholar, specialising in critical sexuality studies, digital media theory, minority stereotyping and media scandals, with work on LGBTIQ youth suicide, cultures of social networking and audience interactivity, as well as cultural and media representations of population. He is Professor of Digital Communication at RMIT University, Melbourne, and formerly an associate professor at The University of Western Australia, from 2013-2019 where he served as Deputy Head of the School of Social Sciences. Previously, he was senior lecturer in Media at The University of Adelaide and has held visiting research and teaching fellowships at The University of Queensland, Adelaide University, and the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
He is a chief investigator on an Australian Research Council Discovery Project on belonging and sexual citizenship among gender and sexual minority youth, and on another on the representation of gender and sexual diversity in Australian screen media, its histories and its role in social change, and on an Australian Research Council Linkage Project with on LGBTQ Migration and Mobility with the History Trust of South Australia.
He was a founding member of the Critical Suicide Studies Network, which promotes the development of theoretical and practical tools for understanding suicide derived from the humanities and social sciences, and opposes the individual pathologisation of those who suicide as found in many dominant medico-psychiatric approaches to suicide prevention and research.
- Queer Youth Suicide, Culture and Identity: Unliveable Lives? Ashgate, 2012, ISBN 9781409444473
- Vulnerability and Exposure: Footballer Scandals, Masculine Identity and Ethics, UWAP Scholarly, 2015, ISBN 9781742586496
- Digital Identities: Creating and Communicating the Online Self, Elsevier, 2016, ISBN 9780124200838
- Emergent Identities: New Sexualities, Genders and Relationships in a Digital Era, Routledge 2018, ISBN 9781138098619
- Youth, Sexuality and Sexual Citizenship (co-edited with Peter Aggleton, Deana Leahy, Daniel Marshall and Mary Lou Rasmussen), Routledge 2018, ISBN 9780815379874
- Flirting in the Era of #MeToo: Negotiating Intimacies (co-authored with Alison Bartlett and Kyra Clarke), Palgrave 2019, ISBN 978-3-030-15508-7
- Population, Mobility and Belonging: Understanding Population Concepts in Media, Culture and Society, Routledge 2020, ISBN 9780367186876
- "Rob Cover - On Line Opinion Author". On Line Opinion. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Rob Cover". HuffPost UK. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Research Data Australia Discovery Projects". Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Queer Generations Project Website". Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Australian Queer Screen". Australian Queer Screen. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Academia.edu". Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Researcgate.net". Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "AustLit Profile".
- Cover, Dr Rob (28 January 2013). Queer Youth Suicide, Culture and Identity: Unliveable Lives?. ISBN 9781409495529. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Gent, Whitney (2014). "Queer Youth Suicide, Culture and Identity: Unliveable Lives? by Rob Cover (review)". QED: A Journal in GLBTQ Worldmaking. 1 (1): 216. doi:10.14321/qed.1.1.0216. Retrieved 17 September 2016 – via Project MUSE.
- "Briefly Noted". Contemporary Sociology. 42 (2): 290. 2013. doi:10.1177/0094306113477387. S2CID 220849495. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Pullen, Christopher (2013). "Rob Cover, Queer Youth Suicide, Culture and Identity: Unliveable Lives?". Sexualities. 16 (3/4): 492–494. doi:10.1177/1363460713479879. S2CID 147261454.
- "Vulnerability and Exposure". Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Risker, Chris (2015). "Vulnerability and Exposure, Reviewed by Chris Risker". Sport Literature Association. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Cover, Rob (13 October 2015). Digital Identities: Creating and Communicating the Online Self. ISBN 9780124200838. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Emergent Identities: New Sexualities, Genders and Relationships in a Digital Era, 1st Edition (Paperback) - Routledge". Routledge.com. 10 September 2018. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Youth, Sexuality and Sexual Citizenship: 1st Edition (Hardback) - Routledge". Routledge.com. 23 October 2018. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- Rob Cover, Faculty Profile at The University of Western Australia
- Academia Profile
- ResearchGate Profile
- Google Scholar Citations
- On Line Opinion