Rob Davis (musician)
Rob Davis (born Robert Berkeley Davis, 1 October 1947, Carshalton, Surrey, England) is an English guitarist and songwriter. He was a guitar playing member of the 1970s glam rock band Mud, who achieved the biggest selling Number One record of 1974 in the United Kingdom, with their song "Tiger Feet". After the band's eventual demise in 1977, Davis worked with several other groups, including The Tremeloes and Darts, but his efforts met with little commercial return.
He later turned his attention to songwriting, initially writing club tracks for Coco Star with the song "I Need A Miracle" and Jan Johnston with whom he wrote six songs including "Am I On Pause".
In 2000, he achieved commercial songwriting success, most notably with the songs "Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)" for Spiller; "Toca's Miracle" by Fragma which was a mashup of the instrumental track "Toca Me" and the vocals to Coca Star's "I Need A Miracle" which Davis had penned a few years previously; and "Can't Get You Out of My Head" for Kylie Minogue in 2001. For the latter song, Davis along with co-writer Cathy Dennis, received an Ivor Novello Award for composing the most performed song of the year. In the Grammy Awards of 2004, Davis shared a Grammy with co-producer Philip Larsen (Manhattan Clique), and performer Minogue, for another Minogue single "Come into My World", in the category of Best Dance Recording. Davis and Dennis also co-wrote Brooke Hogan's single, "Everything to Me" (2004).
In December 2005, Davis appeared in the Channel 4 programme, Bring Back...The Christmas Number One. In January 2008, Davis appeared in the BBC Four television documentary, Pop, What Is It Good For?. In December 2009, he appeared in the Channel 4 programme The Greatest Songs of the Noughties, which featured "Can't Get You Out of My Head", ranked at No. 9 (in a Top 20).
- "Rob Davis | Credits". AllMusic. 1947-10-01. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Coco – I Need A Miracle". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Jan Johnston – Am I On Pause". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Spiller – Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Kylie triple winner at Ivor Novello awards". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. 23 May 2002. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "Rob Davis | Awards". AllMusic. 1947-10-01. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Brooke Hogan – Everything To Me". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- Heather Phares (2009-09-22). "The Boy Who Knew Too Much - Mika | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Afidocs". Silverdocs.com. Archived from the original on 2002-11-26. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
|This article on a UK guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|