Rob Koll is the David R. Dunlop ’59 Head Coach of Wrestling at Cornell University. Koll has led his team to six top-five finishes in the NCAA Division I wrestling tournament, including second-place finishes in 2010 and 2011. The 2010 and 2011 finishes were the best ever for an Ivy League team. The 2011 team was ranked first for much of the season, but lost in the NCAA tournament to Penn State, which surged under its coach Cael Sanderson, who was in his second year at Penn State. Koll has coached NCAA champions Gabe Dean (2015 (184) & 2016 (184)), Nahshon Garrett (2016 (133)), Kyle Dake (2010 (141), 2011 (149), 2012 (157) & 2013 (165)), Steve Bosak (2012 (184)), Cam Simaz (2012 (197)), Troy Nickerson (2009 (125)), Jordan Leen (2008 (157)), Travis Lee (2003 (125) & 2005 (133)), and David Hirsch (1994 (126)). Koll has been won multiple coaching awards including Ivy League Coach of the Year (2015, 2016, 2017) and EIWA Coach of the Year (2007, 2010, 2011, 2017) and NWCA National Coach of the Year (2005).
As a wrestler for the University of North Carolina, Koll was a four-time All American, three-time ACC champion, and in 1988 NCAA champion at 158 pounds. After college, he competed internationally in freestyle wrestling. In 1989 he won the Pan-Am Games and was runner-up at the Olympic Festival; he won the U.S. national freestyle championship in 1990 and 1991; took first in the 1990 and 1993 World Cup; placed fifth in the 1991 World Championships; won the 1992 World Cup Grand Prix; and was the alternate for the 1992 Olympic Games.
Rob Koll is the son of Wrestling Hall of Fame member Bill Koll. Bill was a legendary three-time NCAA wrestling champion for Iowa State Teachers College (now the University of Northern Iowa), and a fifth-place finisher at the 1948 London Olympics. He later became the head coach at Penn State University, and from 1965-1978 he led the team to a 127-22-7 record.
- "Ivy League's Cornell Takes on Wrestling's Giants by Dan Ackman". The Wall Street Journal, March 12, 2009. March 12, 2009.
- "2009-10 Wrestling Coaching Staff". Cornell Big Red: The Official Site of Cornell Intercollegiate Athletics.
- "Bill Koll, Distinguished Member, Class Of 1977". The National Wrestling Hall of Fame & Museum. Archived from the original on 2012-09-19.
- "Bill & Rob Koll: Like Father, Like Son". The Wrestling Talk, July. 7, 2007. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17.
- "Legendary Penn State Wrestling Coach Bill Koll dies at 80 in State College". Penn State Wrestling: The Official Website of Penn State Athletics, September 29, 2003.