|Born||December 18, 1968|
New York City, United States
|Known for||Film, video art, visual art, installation, theater, performance|
(Not to be confused with theater director Rob Roth (Beauty and the Beast)
Rob Roth is an American multidisciplinary artist and director based in New York City. He works in a variety of media including theater, video, sculpture and performance. Roth received his BFA from Pratt Institute and has exhibited different work at a variety of venues including the New Museum, Performance Space 122, HERE Arts Center, Museum of Arts and Design, and Deitch Projects. His work had its early fertilization in the 1990s New York City nightlife arena, most notably at the underground nightclub, Jackie 60 / MOTHER, as well as The Black Party.
In 2018, Roth premiered the theater piece Soundstage, featuring actor Rebecca Hall. He also directed the music video Doom or Destiny by Blondie featuring Joan Jett which appeared on several "Best of 2017" lists as well as performing in Atlas Obscura's site specific Into the Veil event at Green-Wood Cemetery. In 2016, Roth presented his site specific sound installation Night Paving: The Aural History of Jackie 60 and Mother on NYC's Highline. Most recently, Roth was creative director on Debbie Harry's memoir Face It as well as directing the short film "Blondie: Vivir En La Habana" which had its North American premiere at the 20th Anniversary of Tribeca Film Festival.
- "The Mystery of Claywoman". nyartbeat.com.
- "Screet Test". New York Times.
- "SOUNDSTAGE". here.org.
- "Screen Test film premiere". madmuseum.org.
- "The Mystery of Claywoman at Deitch Projects". Deitch Projects.
- Johanna, Fateman. "Jackie 60". Artforum.com.
- "The Black Party". New York Times.
- "Rob Roth's "Soundstage" Fires Up Acoustic Imaginaries". September 22, 2018.
- Dunn, Frankie. "newsflash: debbie harry and joan jett narrate the impending apocalypse". i-d.vice.com.
- "The best music videos of 2017". www.yahoo.com.
- "Into The Veil". donyc.com.
- "Up Late". The High Line.
- "Face It". Dazed.
- "Blondie: Vivir En La Habana". Rolling Stone.
- Official website
- SOUNDSTAGE – A LIVE THEATER AND FILM HYBRID
- Debbie Harry talking new memoir 'Face It' with Chris Stein in NYC
- The NYC Nightlife Scene is Brighter, Thanks to These 10 Future Stars
- THE HANGOVER REPORT – Rob Roth’s technically astounding hybrid performance piece SOUNDSTAGE mesmerizes at HERE – Interludes
- Rob Roth Previews the Black Party, a ‘Night to Let Go of Your Inhibitions’ (Published 2017)
- Video Artist / Performer Rob Roth Debuts His Film "Screen Test" at MAD
- A Patent Leather Life: Interview with Rob Roth