|Born||Baldwin, Nassau County, New York|
|Occupation||Television producer, film producer, screenwriter, actor, film director|
|Notable work||How to Make It in America
Rob Weiss is an American television and film producer, screenwriter, actor, and director. His break came in 1993 when he wrote and directed the 1993 film Amongst Friends. The film was well received at film festivals and scored Weiss a nomination for the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival.
Life and career
Weiss was born in Baldwin, Nassau County, New York. He attended the Parsons School of Design, studying fashion and film, but never graduated. Unemployed, he ended up living with his father in Lawrence in the Five Towns. He has attended both film and design school and worked as a promoter on Long Island, in New York City.
Weiss attended Woodmere Academy with Doug Ellin, creator of the HBO series Entourage, and wrote for the show. He wrote (or co-wrote) episodes including "Aquamansion", "The Bat Mitzvah" and "The Sundance Kids".
In an August 2007 New York Observer interview with Ellin, he confirms that Weiss was the basis for the character of Billy Walsh, a perfectionist filmmaker who was a recurring character on the series. Ellin even asked Weiss if he'd play Walsh, but Weiss declined. Instead, the role went to Rhys Coiro, to whom Weiss bears little outward resemblance.
In 2014 Weiss partnered with Davidoff of Geneva to create the signature cigar line BG Meyer Cigar Co.; its launch was lauded by Cigar Aficionado. Deadline also reported Weiss was tapped by Sonny Barger and Fox 2000 to write and direct the feature film Hells Angels.
||Entourage||Producer and Writer|
||Farce of the Penguins||Pissed Penguin||Voice role; direct-to-video|
||Amongst Friends||Director, Writer and Executive Producer||Bobby|
||Ballers||Executive Producer||Premiering on HBO in 2015|
||How to Make It in America||Writer: 4 episodes
Executive Producer: 13 episodes
||Entourage||Writer: 20 episodes
Executive Producer: 44 episodes
Co-Executive Producer: 20 episodes
Producer: 15 episodes
Co-Producer: 7 episodes
|96 episodes||Role: Audition Producer (Season 1, Episode 8)|
||Punk'd||Producer||17 episodes||Season 1 and 2 only|
- Lyall, Sarah. "FILM; 'Amongst Friends' Tops Off a Journey Of Self-Discovery", The New York Times, July 18, 1993. Accessed September 18, 2008. "Born in Baldwin, near the Five Towns, Mr. Weiss dropped out of the Parsons School of Design, where he studied fashion, then film. He found himself out of work and living goallessly back at his divorced father's house in Lawrence, smack in the Five Towns."
- Amongst Friends (1993) – Trivia
- New York Times. "A Road to Redemption (Hint: Be Polite)". Retrieved February 25, 2010.
- YouTube. "Introducing the BG Meyer Co -- Legends Made". Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Cigar Aficionado. "New Camacho Partnership Means First Nicaraguan Puro". Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "‘Hells Angels’ Feature Rides Over To Writer-Producer Rob Weiss". Deadline. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Rob Weiss at the Internet Movie Database