Robe wine region
|Type||Australian Geographical Indication|
|Years of wine industry||since 1994|
|Part of||Limestone Coast zone|
|Precipitation (annual average)||213 mm (8.4 in)|
|Size of planted vineyards||682 ha (1,690 acres)|
|No. of vineyards||13 (2008)|
|Grapes produced||1,136 tonnes (1,118 long tons; 1,252 short tons)|
|Varietals produced||Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Chardonnay, Merlot|
|No. of wineries||three|
|Comments||climate data: 2011, production: 2012 & 2014.|
Robe is a wine region located in the south east of South Australia immediately adjoining the town of Robe. The region received appellation as an Australian Geographical Indication (AGI) in 2006. It is part of the Limestone Coast wine zone.
Extent and appellation
The Robe wine region occupies a section of coastline about 20 kilometres (12 miles) wide extending from the north end of Guichen Bay where it borders the Mount Benson region to Beachport in the south. The Robe wine region was registered as an Australian Geographical Indication on 15 August 2006 and is part of the Limestone Coast zone.
Grapes and wine
As of 2014, the most common plantings in the Robe wine region within a total planted area of 682 ha (1,690 acres) was reported as being Cabernet Sauvignon (33.1%) followed by Shiraz (25.1%), Chardonnay (15.5%) and Merlot (8.5%). Alternatively, red wine varietals account for 74.2%of plantings while white wines varietals account for 26%of plantings. The total 2014 vintage is reported as consisting of 1,136 tonnes (1,118 long tons; 1,252 short tons) of crushed grapes from all varietals. As of 2012, the region had three wineries and as of 2008, it had 13 growers.
Citations and references
- "Robe(AGI)". Australian Grape and Wine Authority. 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 26
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 62
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 50
- PGIBSA, 2014, page 73
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 27
- PGIBSA, 2014, page 71
- "Limestone Coast Zone Wineries and Vineyards South Australia" (PDF). Limestone Coast Wine Industry Council. 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Longbottom, Mardi; Maschmedt, David and Pichler, Markus (2011), Unearthing viticulture in the Limestone Coast (PDF), ISBN 978-0-646-56744-0, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 November 2014, retrieved 5 November 2014CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of SA (PGIBSA) (2014), Australian regional winegrape crush survey online (PDF), Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of SA, ISSN 1442-6048, retrieved 6 November 2014