Robert A. Nulman
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert Alan Nulman (born February 28, 1942 in Fall River, Massachusetts) is an American politician, interfaith minister and MADD Victim Advocate.
Political Life and Public Service
- Lifelong Democrat.
- Mayor of Clinton, New Jersey; 1986-1993.
- Councilman: Clinton, NJ; 1975–1985; Council President: 1980-85.
- NJ State Water Policy Commissioner, 1977-1982 (appointed by governor).
- President, Hunterdon County Mayors' Association
- Board of Directors: NJ League of Municipalities and NJ Conference of Mayors.
During his four terms as Mayor of Clinton, New Jersey, Nulman dealt with the discovery of high levels of naturally occurring radon gas in a cluster of homes in the town. In response, he spearheaded a major coordinated effort among the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the NJ Department of Environmental Protection and the NJ Department of Health to ensure public safety and remediate affected homes . As a result, his efforts were widely recognized as a model of effective emergency response, public communication and inter-governmental cooperation. Among numerous honors and awards, he is a recipient of the prestigious President's Award from the US EPA.
- Ordained Interfaith Minister. Active wedding officiant, minister and counselor.
After the death of his 22-year-old son Daniel by a drunk driver in 1987, Nulman became active in Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). Over the years, he has served as a certified victim advocate, chapter officer, state spokesperson and organizer. He is a frequent speaker on the subject of drunk driving who works tirelessly to combat this senseless crime.
- Durfee High School; Fall River, MA - 1956-1959.
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth; BS in Business, 1963.
- Arizona State University; MBA in Industrial Management, 1968.
- Certified Management Engineer, 1964, Army Management Engineering Training Agency.
- Born February 28, 1942 in Fall River, MA to Abraham and Marie (Moquin) Nulman.
- One brother: Richard Nulman (Elizabeth) of Amherst, NH.
- Married: Louise Gamage, 1964; divorced, 1981. Two children: Daniel: born 1965; died 1987. Kimberly (Greg): Born 1968.
- Married: Barbara Rosenberg (née Feigenbaum), 1993. Two stepchildren: Jason Rosenberg (Laura) and Shari (Marc) Platinsky.
- Grandfather of eight: Alix and Daniel Plancher; Alison, Carly and Jolie Platinsky; Emily, Avery and Andrew Rosenberg.
- As a Telecommunications System Engineer, Nulman designed large telecommunications networks for Bell Labs, AT&T, and numerous telecom entities, worldwide.
- Vietnam-era veteran, US Air Force; Captain; 1964-1971.
- Recipient of two Air Force Commendation Medals.
- Service in US, England and Libya.
William J. Makofske, Michael R. Edelstein; Radon and the Environment; Ramapo College. Institute for Environmental Studies, 1988.