|Born||6 June 1940|
|Awards||AAAS Prize for Behavioral Science Research|
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University|
|Institutions||University of Manitoba|
|Main interests||Research into authoritarianism|
He did research on authoritarianism, identifying the psychological makeup of authoritarian followers and authoritarian leaders. His studies concentrated on who the followers are, how they got that way, how they think and why they are by turns so submissive and aggressive. His research is documented in the book, The Authoritarians., His latest book, Authoritarian Nightmare, co-written by John W. Dean, is a book about U.S. President Donald Trump and his authoritarian followers.
He also collected data on authoritarianism among North American politicians. Altemeyer's work is referenced in John W. Dean's 2006 book, Conservatives Without Conscience. At Dean's suggestion, he wrote an "everyperson" account of his findings, The Authoritarians, which is freely available online.
Bob Altemeyer was awarded the American Association for the Advancement of Science Prize for Behavioral Science Research in 1986.
- Altemeyer, Bob (1981). Right-Wing Authoritarianism. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press. ISBN 0-88755-124-6.
- — (1988). Enemies of Freedom: Understanding Right-Wing Authoritarianism. Mississauga: Jossey-Bass. ISBN 978-1555420970.
- — (1996). The Authoritarian Specter. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-05305-2.
- —; Hunsberger, Bruce (1997). Amazing Conversions: Why Some Turn to Faith and Others Abandon Religion. Amherst: Prometheus Books. ISBN 978-1573921473.
- Hunsberger, Bruce; Altemeyer, Bob (2006). Atheists: A Groundbreaking Study of America's Nonbelievers. Amherst: Prometheus Books. ISBN 978-1591024132.
- Altemeyer, Bob (2006). The Authoritarians. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba. OCLC 191061772. and several subsequent postscripts: Comment on the 2008 election, Comment on the Tea Party movement and a short comment on Donald Trump.
- — (2009). Sex and Youth: A Twenty-Four Year Investigation. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba. OCLC 516955225.
- "University of Manitoba directory, Psychology Faculty".
- Bielski, Zosia (3 September 2009). "The myths that surround sexuality and university students". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. Archived from the original on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Hard Right" (30 July 2006). Review of Conservatives without conscience by Nick Gillespie. The New York Times.
- Altemeyer (2006)
- (2020) Melville Publishing House, Brooklyn, NY. ISBN 978-1-61219-905-4
- Dean, John W. Conservatives Without Conscience (2006). Viking. New York. ISBN 0670037745.
- "Website for the book: Bob Altemeyer's - The Authoritarians".
- "AAAS History & Archives: Prize for Behavioral Science Research, Bob Altemeyer (1986)".
- "Today's NDP: Rob Altemeyer, your MLA for Wolseley" Archived 2012-08-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Altemeyer, Bob. "Postscript on the 2008 election" (PDF). Retrieved 31 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Altemeyer, Bob. "Comment on the Tea Party movement" (PDF). Retrieved 31 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Altemeyer, Bob. "Comment on Donald Trump". Retrieved 31 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer
- The Authoritarian Specter - Book Review, April 7, 2010