|Born||June 6, 1940|
|Awards||AAAS Prize for Behavioral Science Research|
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University|
|Institutions||University of Manitoba|
|Main interests||Research into authoritarianism|
Robert Anthony "Bob" Altemeyer (born June 6, 1940) is a retired Professor of Psychology at the University of Manitoba. He produced the test and scale for "RWA" or right-wing authoritarianism.
He did extensive research on authoritarianism, identifying the psychological makeup of authoritarian followers and authoritarian leaders. His studies concentrated on who the followers are, how they got that way, how they think, and why they are by turns so submissive and aggressive. He also collected data on authoritarianism among North American politicians. Altemeyer's work is extensively referenced in John W. Dean's 2006 book, Conservatives Without Conscience. At Dean's suggestion, he wrote an "everyperson" account of his findings, The Authoritarians, which is freely available online.
Bob Altemeyer was awarded the American Association for the Advancement of Science Prize for Behavioral Science Research in 1986.
- Altemeyer, Bob (1981). Right-Wing Authoritarianism. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press. ISBN 0-88755-124-6.
- — (1988). Enemies of Freedom: Understanding Right-Wing Authoritarianism. Mississauga: Jossey-Bass. ISBN 978-1555420970.
- — (1996). The Authoritarian Specter. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-05305-2.
- —; Hunsberger, Bruce (1997). Amazing Conversions: Why Some Turn to Faith and Others Abandon Religion. Amherst: Prometheus Books. ISBN 978-1573921473.
- Hunsberger, Bruce; Altemeyer, Bob (2006). Atheists: A Groundbreaking Study of America's Nonbelievers. Amherst: Prometheus Books. ISBN 978-1591024132.
- Altemeyer, Bob (2006). The Authoritarians (PDF). Winnipeg: University of Manitoba. OCLC 191061772. and several subsequent postscripts: Comment on the 2008 election, Comment on the Tea Party movement and a short comment on Donald Trump.
- — (2009). Sex and Youth: A Twenty-Four Year Investigation. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba. OCLC 516955225.
- University of Manitoba directory, Psychology Faculty
- Bielski, Zosia (September 3, 2009). "The myths that surround sexuality and university students". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- The Hard Right, review of Conservatives without conscience by Nick Gillespie, New York Times, July 30, 2006
- Conservatives without conscience, by John W Dean, Viking: New York, 2006, ISBN 0670037745
- University of Manitoba: Bob Altemeyer's - The Authoritarians
- AAAS History & Archives: Prize for Behavioral Science Research, Bob Altemeyer (1986)
- Today's NDP: Rob Altemeyer, your MLA for Wolseley
- Altemeyer, Bob. "Postscript on the 2008 election" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Altemeyer, Bob. "Comment on the Tea Party movement" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Altemeyer, Bob. "Comment on Donald Trump". Retrieved 2016-03-31.