Robert Balchin, Baron Lingfield
He previously served as Director-General of St. John Ambulance from 1984 to 1990 and was chairman of the Grant-Maintained Schools Centre (formerly Foundation) from 1989 until 1999. He has been Chairman of the Centre for Education Management (now CEFM) since 1995.
He was Knight Principal (chairman of the Knights' Council) of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor from 2006 to 2012, and he has served as Honorary Colonel of Humberside and South Yorkshire ACF since 2004. The cadet-commandant of Yorkshire Army Cadet Force, Colonel Alan Roberts, OBE, TD, is a long-term associate of Lord Lingfield, serving as gentleman usher of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor, receiving an honorary doctorate from Brunel University and being appointed a companion of the Order of Mercy.
Lord Lingfield is patron of the charity MaleVoicED, a charity supporting all males with Eating Disorders and other co-morbid conditions.
Lord Lingfield sits on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords, and he speaks in parliament mainly on education matters. He has written numerous articles on education and politics. His schools initiative was proclaimed by The Daily Telegraph's deputy editor, Benedict Brogan, as: "[being the] first and, as time passes, perhaps the most important legislative milestone achieved by the Coalition".
- - Life Peer as Baron Lingfield, of Lingfield, in the County of Surrey (created 17 December 2010)
- - Knight Bachelor (1993)
- - Knight of Justice, Order of St John (1984)
- - Commander, pro Merito Melitensi (1987)
- - Knight Grand Cross, Royal Order of Francis I (2014)
- - Knight Grand Cross, Order of the Eagle (2014)
- "The Lord Lingfield Kt DL Dlitt". Children's University. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "No. 53284". The London Gazette. 23 April 1993. p. 7209.
- "No. 59641". The London Gazette. 22 December 2010. p. 24505.
- Hansard, publications.parliament.uk; accessed 6 November 2016.
- Profile, Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor website; accessed 6 November 2016.
- Profile, publications.parliament.uk; accessed 6 November 2016.
- Benedict Brogan The Daily Telegraph 26 May 2011
Sir Richard Gaskell
| Knight Principal
of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor
2006 – 2012
Sir Colin Berry