|Born||August 28, 1972 (age 44)
Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.
|Education||Juilliard School (1994)|
Early life and education
Originally from the Liberty City community of Miami, Florida, Battle was raised by his great uncle Willie Horne and his cousin Dessie Horne in economically poor living conditions. He studied at the New World School of the Arts before graduating from the Juilliard School, where he received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1994.
In 2015 Battle was named a Ford Foundation Art of Change Fellow.
He began the directorship on July 1, 2011, and is its third director since the company's 1958 inception. When receiving the position Battle says, "I hope to be worthy of this tremendous responsibility that I've been given, and to honor it in the only way Alvin Ailey would have accepted: by keeping it now, alive and moving forward". Although Battle was never formally part of the Ailey company prior to his appointment, making him the first artistic director with no direct connection to the company or to Ailey himself, he contributed a number of works to the company's repertoire, and had long been recognized as the anointed successor to Judith Jamison. As Jamison was in an interview she says, "that Battle's choreography has the ability to draw audiences into his work, and it reminds her of Alvin". He served several terms as artist-in-residence with Ailey.
- Archival footage of Battleworks Dance Company performing Robert Battle's Strange Humors in 2003 at Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival.
- "Robert Battle Biography". The History Makers. August 27, 2010. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Kourlas, Gia (May 7, 2010). "For New Ailey Leader, It’s All in the Family". New York Times. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Acocella, Joan (December 19, 2011). "New Move". The New Yorker. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- "Alumni News". Juilliard School. March 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
Robert Battle (BFA ’94)
- "Robert Battle To Take Over Alvin Ailey Dance Company". Huffington Post. April 29, 2010. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Wakin, Daniel J. (April 28, 2010). "Ailey Company Names New Director". New York Times. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "Robert Battle talks of next steps for Ailey dance troupe". Los Angeles Times. May 3, 2010. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
|This article about a performing arts director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|