Robert Bray (British Army officer)
|Sir Robert Bray|
General RNHC (Bobbie) Bray GBE KCB DSO
|Born||14 June 1908|
|Died||1983 (aged 74 or 75)
|Years of service||1928–1971|
|Commands held||185th Infantry Brigade
29th Infantry Brigade
56th (London) Infantry Division
Allied Forces Northern Europe
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire
Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Service Order
He became a Brigadier on the General Staff at the British Army of the Rhine in 1950 and then Director of Land-Air Warfare and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation Standardization at the War Office in 1954. He was promoted to major-general on 29 October 1955 and became General Officer Commanding 56th Infantry Division in 1957. He then became GOC British Land Forces in the Arabian Peninsula in 1959 and GOC Middle East Land Forces in 1960.
He was promoted to lieutenant-general on 27 February 1961 and served as GOC-in-C at Southern Command from 1961 to 1963. He was promoted to full general on 25 February 1965. He was the Honorary Colonel of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment from 1965 to 1975. He served as Commander-in-Chief Allied Forces Northern Europe between 1963 and 1967 and as Deputy Supreme Commander Europe at NATO's Allied Command between May 1967 and December 1970, succeeding Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Thomas Pike. He retired on 9 March 1971.
- 1944 – Distinguished Service Order for gallant and distinguished services in Normandy
- 1945 – Bar to Distinguished Service Order for gallant and distinguished services in north west Europe
- 1952 – Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- 1956 – Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB)
- 1962 – Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)
- 1966 – Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE)
- Colonel of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, October 1965 to July 1975
- Mentioned in Despatches North West Frontier 1935
- Mentioned in Despatches 20 December 1940
- St Ronan's School
- Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- The London Gazette: . 31 August 1944. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 1 May 1945. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 5 June 1952. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 28 December 1956. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 1 January 1962. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 1 January 1966. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- I Will Plant Me a Tree by Steve Benson and Martin Crossley Evans (James & James, London, 2002) ISBN 0-907383-92-0
- Military Career of RNHC Bray at ordersofbattle.com
- Glorious Gloucesters
- The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- Honours and Awards of the Glosters
- Multinational Commands RAF
Sir Nigel Poett
|GOC-in-C Southern Command
Sir Kenneth Darling
Sir Harold Pyman
|Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces Northern Europe
Sir Kenneth Darling
Sir Thomas Pike
|Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe