This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brought up in Rosyth, Fife, Buchan graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Mining from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh in 1969. He earned a Master's degree of Science in Mining Engineering from Queen’s University in 1972.
In 2009 he gave £6 million to his Canadian alma mater, Queen’s University, in Kingston, Ontario, to fund mining education and, in his honor, the university renamed the Mining Engineering department the Robert M. Buchan Department of Mining. In September 2010 it was announced that Buchan was donating £1.3 million to his Scottish alma mater, to fund their work sustainable energy engineering, the largest donation the university has ever received from an individual. He has also donated £650,000 to help establish the Whitlock Energy Collaboration Centre at Carnegie College in Fife.
Buchan retired as president and chief executive of Kinross Gold Corporation January 10, 2005, going on to found Katanga Copper, the developer of one of the world's largest copper deposits. He retired from Katanga Copper in 2007. He remains executive chairman and director of Allied Nevada Gold Corp., a gold mining firm that operates the Hycroft mine and has a large number of prospective exploration claims in the state of Nevada.
Buchan is a director of the Buchan Family Foundation, a philanthropic body.
Mr Buchan was elected to the board of Polyus Gold International in June 2008  and was elected Chairman of the Board July 2011. He stepped down from the board in 2013. "Polyus Gold International" is a Russian mining and metallurgy conglomerate primarily concerned with the production of gold.
-  Archived 19 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "An Extraordinary Gift to Mining Education". Queen's University. Kingston, Ontario. Archived from the original on 18 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Department of Mining". Mine.queensu.ca. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- Donnelly, Brian (14 September 2010). "Magnate's £1m gift of learning". The Herald. Glasgow. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Officers | Allied Nevada Gold". Alliednevada.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "The Buchan Family Foundation". OpenCharity.ca. Archived from the original on 28 October 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Press releases". Polyusgold.com. 2008-06-26. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "Архив сообщений KazakhGold". Polyusgold.com. 26 July 2011. Archived from the original on 31 January 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Press releases". Polyusgold.com. 2013-08-30. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- , Heriot-Watt University, 2011
- "Dr Robert M Buchan installed as Chancellor of Heriot-Watt University - News | Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh". Hw.ac.uk. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
|This article about a Scottish engineer, inventor or industrial designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|